Span distance 150x50 steel tubing

• Thread starter DANger-is
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Span Steel
In summary, the patio design includes an 8m x 2.4m space connected to a house on one side. The outside is reinforced with 150 x 50 x 3mm steel tubing and 140 x 50 hardwood purlins at 1m intervals. To span the 8m with only end posts, the steel tubing would need a midspan post and the maximum allowable span length would be 5140 mm assuming the elevation of the patio does not exceed 1200 mm. The attachment of the purlins to the steel tubing and the support of the first RHS at the midpoint are important factors to consider in the design.
DANger-is
I'm designing a patio which is connected to a house on one side, 8m x 2.4m

150 x 50 x 3mm steel tubing around the outside with 140 x 50 hardwood purlins, spaced at 1m intervals (2.4m long each).

I would like to span the 8m with only posts on the ends. Is this possible or will there be to much sag?

Thanks
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
DANger-is: With no midspan post, your given 8 m steel tube would be overstressed. Therefore, a post at the midspan of your given 8 m steel tube is also needed.

Isn't there standards for this? You can't lookup the building codes?

Thanks for getting back to me nvn. I'm trying to span as fare as possible withou having a support in the middle. Given that the beam can overhang the posts, I would think I could span the rhs 6.5 m between supports. Which would result in approximately 600 mm overhang on both ends. Any thoughts?

DANger-is: What is the material specification, and tensile yield strength (Sty), of your RHS? Assuming Sty = 275 MPa, then the maximum allowable span length between your two posts would be L1 = 5140 mm, using your current steel tube cross section size and wall thickness. This assumes your patio is no more than ~1200 mm above the ground. If the patio elevation exceeds roughly 1200 mm, then the allowable span length L1 would be less.

Are your "purlins" (joists) actually attached to your RHS? And is the midspan of your first RHS attached to the house? Or can your joists slip longitudinally (horizontally), such that your outer RHS has no midspan lateral (horizontal) support near its compression flange?

Last edited:

1. What is the maximum weight that can be supported by 150x50 steel tubing over a span distance?

The maximum weight that can be supported by 150x50 steel tubing depends on various factors such as the length of the span, the type of load, and the thickness of the tubing. It is best to consult an engineer for a specific weight limit for your project.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and thickness of 150x50 steel tubing for my project?

The size and thickness of steel tubing needed for a project depend on the intended use and the expected load. It is recommended to consult an engineer or refer to structural design tables to determine the appropriate size and thickness for your specific project.

3. What are the advantages of using 150x50 steel tubing for construction?

150x50 steel tubing is known for its strength and durability, making it a popular choice for construction projects. It can withstand heavy loads and is resistant to corrosion, making it suitable for a variety of environments. Additionally, steel tubing is lightweight and easy to work with, making it a cost-effective option for construction projects.

4. Can 150x50 steel tubing be used for outdoor applications?

Yes, 150x50 steel tubing can be used for outdoor applications. It is commonly used in building structures, bridges, and other outdoor constructions. However, it is important to consider the type of environment and potential exposure to elements such as moisture and sunlight, as this can affect the durability of the tubing.

5. How do I properly maintain 150x50 steel tubing to ensure its longevity?

To maintain the longevity of 150x50 steel tubing, it is important to regularly inspect it for any signs of damage or corrosion. If any issues are found, they should be addressed promptly. Additionally, routine cleaning and application of protective coatings can help prevent corrosion and extend the lifespan of the tubing. Consult with a professional for specific maintenance recommendations.