Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speaking italian by using a method that cia agents use

1. Aug 24, 2007 #1
    while ago i read in one of the threads that you have learnt speaking italian by using a method that cia aganets learn how to speak foreign languages with accent. where i can get that?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You know she'll have to kill you if she shows you, don't you? :cool:

4. Aug 24, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'll see if I can find it, it sounds like Pimsleur uses a similar technique.

5. Aug 24, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you thinking about "graduated interval recall?"

My three-pronged approach has always worked well for me:

- Use Pimsleur for pronunciation and intution about grammar.
    - Use Rosetta Stone for vocabulary and written language.
    - Read children's books and newspapers (out loud!) to pull it all together and give you real-world experience with the language.

I actually can't praise Pimsleur enough; they're really quite good (though expensive).

- Warren

6. Aug 24, 2007 #5
    300$ per level!! Geez.

7. Aug 24, 2007 #6

ranger

Gold Member

I haven't used Pimsleur before. But I'm very impressed with The Rosetta Stone.

8. Aug 24, 2007 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to learn some Italian. I love the way it sounds. A couple of weeks ago I got an Italian for dummies book and CD just to try a few conversational phrases. I want to find a proper grammar book next.

9. Aug 24, 2007 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

NO!

I've been learning Chinese for almost two months now, and did Pimsleur for the first two weeks. Pimsleur is garbage. I did each lesson like 5-10 times, and when I met a Chinese girl she had no idea what I was saying.

Now, I'm learning through Chinese girls and they understand what I'm saying. Sometimes they get really happy because I pronounce the words really well. (My French helps a lot because the sounds are similiar.)

I say no to Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone. I tried like 4 different kinds of audios. I spoke the words to like 3 different Chinese girls and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Or maybe it's just for Chinese because there is more emphasis on the words. Who knows.

10. Aug 25, 2007 #9
    Chinese girls always laugh and blush when I try to speak their language, especially my last name. Truthfully, I have always had a impediment worrying about innuendo when speaking socially a foreign language.

11. Aug 25, 2007 #10
    evo's post:

12. Aug 25, 2007 #11
    I dunno maybe I'm not allowed to post this, but if you don't wanna pay $300 for pimsleur:
    <edit: Evo - sorry>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  13. Aug 26, 2007 #12

radou

Homework Helper

In a way, I always found American girls speaking Italian or any other European language somehow sexy.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  14. Aug 26, 2007 #13
    I've always found American girls speaking English to be somehow sexy.

15. Aug 26, 2007 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No way!

I found Canadian or American girls or people in general are terrible in other languages, especially French.

16. Aug 26, 2007 #15

radou

Homework Helper

Well, that's the whole point. :biggrin:

(Btw, that was my little secret. :tongue:)

17. Aug 26, 2007 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bone jerrno! :biggrin:

18. Aug 26, 2007 #17
    chinese? why ? isnt it very hard and useless outside of china?:confused:

19. Aug 26, 2007 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard this from others too, but now can't remember who, unless you've commented on it here before and it was you. :uhh: I hadn't heard of Pimsleur before, but have heard that about Rosetta Stone, that you think you know what you're doing with it, and when you actually try to talk to people, they haven't a clue what you're saying.

My preferred method of learning a language is to spend time learning the grammar from a textbook, and practice pronunciation and spoken phrases with a native speaker who can give you feedback to correct your mistakes. If you try to learn pronunciation from books or tapes, you don't get the feedback to know you're not saying something right or not hearing an important inflection and said something totally different from what you intended.

It also depends on the language as to how well you could get by with "just" a phrase book. For example, if you're speaking Spanish and mispronounce something, there's still a good chance you'll be understood. If you're speaking Chinese and mispronounce something, there's a good chance you'll offend someone with an entirely different meaning than intended.

20. Aug 26, 2007 #19

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that might have made me do better at French in school!

21. Aug 26, 2007 #20

radou

Homework Helper

Don't make me start PM-ing you. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?