Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special keys (windows 7 keyboard)

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On my keyboard (bottom row) there are two keys which I have no idea what they do. I tried Googling "keyboard", but couldn't get anything useful. the keys look like this:

1. Rectangle with Fn inside
    2. Something that resembles a list (blank) with an arrow

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the make and model of the keyboard (look on the bottom side for the label)? Maybe that will point you to an operator's manual online...

4. Dec 27, 2011 #3
  5. Dec 28, 2011 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keyboard hp KU-0841

The Wikipedia article isn't much help, since it just gives a general description.

6. Dec 28, 2011 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

FWIW I've seen keyboards with a similar key (not necessarily on the bottom row) which switches the function keys F1 - F12 from their standard meaning to user-programmable functions.

If that is to the right of the space bar, it's the standard Windows key to get a pop-up menu, as an alternative to right-clicking the mouse. (People who can touch type sometimes prefer keyboard shortcuts to using the mouse, and blind computer users never use mice.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook