Why are the keys for J and K mapped to 1 and 2 on my Tablet Keyboard?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mech-eng
Messages
826
Reaction score
13
Hi, all. I have bought a tablet keyboard. But its keys for j and k are 1 and 2. how can I correct that keys? Have nice day.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
So you press a j and the screen shows a 1 and you press a k and the screen shows a 2 or is it the other way around press 1 to j press 2 to k.

This sounds like a software configuration issue. What OS does the tablet run?

Anyway, this may help:

http://www.siig.com/kbase/Keyboards/Keyboard_is_typing_wrong_characters.html

I have tried it with my window 8 laptop. Should I try it with a tablet-pc? I have not buy it but I am making preparations so I bought that Tablet cover with keyboard.


And I have tried it a few minutes ago. This time everything has seemed ok. I do not know the reason why it behaved so at that time. Digital devices and machines are just like humans sometimes they Show strange behaviors.

Best Regards.
 
Last edited:
On tablet keyboards, generally, the number pad is not present. The idea being to save space. Often, the number pad is placed on the regular keyboard and users can swap between letters and numbers by toggling the numlock.

take a look at this image
cQUKR.jpg

j=1, k=2, etc.

I strongly suspect, your number lock key was toggled on and thus the letters behaved as a number pad. The next time you tried, the numlock was off, and your keyboard worked as you expected it to work.

Test it out, check to see if you can turn on the numlock and see how it behaves.