Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity and quantum mech

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    An atom can exist in two states , ground state of M and excited state of mass M+Δ , it goes to excited state by absorption of an photon, what is the photon frequency in the in the lab frame of reference ( where the atom is initially at rest )?

A simple energy equation gives the answer:
    E=( M+Δ -M)[itex]c^{2}[/itex]=hγ
    γ=Δ[itex]c^{2}[/itex]/h
    But my intuition says that I am overlooking something and can't be that simple..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is that simple.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should include the recoil of the excited atom in the final state.
    Use Energy^2=(M+K)^2=(M+Delta)^2+K^2, and solve for K (the photon energy). (with c=1)

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I ignored recoil because its contribution is small for common cases. I, of course, agree with the above formula. Note that even for as extreme a case as a 10 Mev delta for a hydrogen atom, including recoil only changes the required photon energy to about 10.05 Mev. For Sodium, to about 10.002 Mev. For delta of 1 Mev and hydrogen, including recoil would require a 1.0005 Mev photon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook