1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Special relativity: components of a metric tensor

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1

Uku

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An interval in Minkovski space is given in spheric coordinates as;

[tex]ds^{2}=c^{2}dt^{2}-dr^{2}-r^{2}d\theta^{2}-r^{2}sin^{2}\theta d\phi^{2}[/tex]

Now I have to find the covariant and contravariant components of the metric tensor.

2. Relevant equations

General expression of a metric tensor is:
    [tex]G=g_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}[/tex] which also equals [tex]ds^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have some messy answer written down from the lecture, but cant get it clear.
    Seems that I have written down the covariant components of the metric as
    [tex]g_{00}=1[/tex]
    [tex]g_{11}=-1[/tex]
    [tex]g_{22}=-r^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]g_{33}=-r^{2}sin^{2}\theta[/tex]
    Are these the covariant components that the problem asks me to find? How are they found?

I see a correlation in the Schwarzchild metric

G=[PLAIN]http://rqgravity.net/images/gravitation/Gravitation-92.gif [Broken]

After this it seems that the lecturer has written down that

[tex]g_{\mu\sigma} g^{\mu\rho}=\delta^{\rho}_{\sigma}[/tex]

Is this correct?

So I get a matrix on which all the components on the main diagonal are 1. From there I can derive that the contra-variant components of the metric are simply inverses of the above covariant metric.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you expand the implied summations in [itex]ds^2 = g_{\mu\nu} dx^\mu dx^\nu[/tex], you get

[tex]ds^2 = g_{00} dx^0 dx^0 + g_{01}dx^0dx^1 + \cdots + g_{32}dx^3dx^2 + g_{33}dx^3dx^3[/tex]

Keeping in mind that [itex]x^0 = t[/itex], [itex]x^1 = r[/itex], [itex]x^2 = \theta[/itex], and [itex]x^3 = \phi[/itex], compare that expression to

[tex]ds^2 = dt^2 - dr^2 - r^2 d\theta^2 - r^2\sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2[/tex]

You can just read off the components of [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex].

Your notes are correct in that [itex]g_{\mu\sigma}g^{\mu\rho}=\delta^\rho_\sigma[/itex]. Consider

[tex]x_\rho = g_{\rho\sigma} x^\sigma=g_{\rho\sigma}g^{\sigma\mu}x_\mu[/tex]

You can see that all [itex]g_{\rho\sigma}g^{\sigma\mu}[/itex] does is change the label of the index on [itex]x_\mu[/itex]. In other words, it's just the identity.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. Jun 25, 2010 #3

Uku

Thanks!

A well, actually I have a question still.
    The bit:

[tex]ds^{2}=g_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu} dx^{\nu}[/tex]

indicates summation over 16 (4x4) values, yes? With only the main diagonal being significant on the g.

EDIT: yes, that is what happens.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook