1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity - energy-momentum conservation

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A positron of rest mass me, kinetic energy equal to its rest mass-energy, strikes an electron at rest. They annihilate, creating two high energy photons a and b. The photon a is emitted at the angle of 90 degress with respect to the direction of the incident positron.

(a) Split 4-vector law of energy-momentum conservation into energy and momentum conservation laws in the rest frame of the electron.

(b) Show that the total energy of the emitted photons Ea+Eb=3me*c^2 and that Eb^2 = Ea^2 + (p^2)*(c^2) where p is 3momentum of positron and Ea, Eb are energies of photons a and b.

(c) Use these results and identity E^2 = (p^2)*(c^2) + m0^2*c^4 to show Eb = 2me*c^2 and Ea = me*c^2. Find the direction of motion of photon b. In particular show that the angle between its direction and the direction of the positron is theta = arcsin(1/2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Qp, Qe = 4momenta of positron and electron
    Pa, Pb = 4momenta of photon a and b.

Qp = (2me*c, me*v) v=velocity of positron
    Qe = (me*c, 0)
    Pa = (Ea/c, Ea/c n) n=direction of photon
    Pe = (Eb/c, Eb/c n)

This is far as I can get! Can anybody please help? Have I split up the conservation law okay?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A conservation law is usually represented as an equation. Here, a "split" would be to say

Momentum before = Momentum after
    Energy before = Energy after

You have not done that.

4. Aug 27, 2009 #3
    Sorry, I didn't put that in.

Qp + Qe = Pa + Pb

5. Aug 27, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's only one equation. You need two plus you need to put in symbols for the rest masses, speed of positron, etc. in these two equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook