Special Relativity: just wanted a second opinion

• Thread starter Shark 774
  • Start date
What would you suggest as the answers to the 2 attached multiple choice questions? My answers clashed with the answers provided and I stand by what I chose, and just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

How can we give you an opinion about your answers if you don't tell us what those answers are?

RGV

How can we give you an opinion about your answers if you don't tell us what those answers are?

RGV
I didn't mean I wanted your opinion on my answers. I just meant I wanted a second opinion on what the answers should be for the questions.

I think Question 3 is C.

I gave B for Q2 and D for Q3. I said B because of Galileo who said that all velocities are relative, and D because (although I don't know much about it at all) the speed of light isn't necessarily "c" in a non-intertial frame of reference. They answers given were A for Q2 and C for Q3. What do you guys think?

ideasrule
Homework Helper
Your answers are correct. A and C are definitely wrong no matter how you interpret the question.

Your answers are correct. A and C are definitely wrong no matter how you interpret the question.
Great, thanks very much.

"D" and "C", respectively. One of the two postulates of special relativity is that the laws of physics are identical for all inertial frames of reference.

For the second one, the speed of light (in a vacuum) is always "c". There is nothing you can do to measure it to be any different (short of using a medium with a higher index of refraction).

Last edited:
"D" and "C", respectively. One of the two postulates of special relativity is that the laws of physics are identical for all inertial frames of reference.

For the second one, the speed of light (in a vacuum) is always "c". There is nothing you can do to measure it to be any different (short of using a medium with a higher index of refraction).
D is not correct for the first answer, re-read the question, it is about Galileo. C for the second is not correct either, the speed of light is only c in inertial reference frames.

The answers are B and D.