Special Relativity: just wanted a second opinion

In summary: B because of Galileo who said that all velocities are relative, and D because (although I don't know much about it at all) the speed of light isn't necessarily "c" in a non-intertial frame of reference.
Shark 774
What would you suggest as the answers to the 2 attached multiple choice questions? My answers clashed with the answers provided and I stand by what I chose, and just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.

Attachments

• tsfx relativity.jpg
    tsfx relativity.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 483
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

How can we give you an opinion about your answers if you don't tell us what those answers are?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
How can we give you an opinion about your answers if you don't tell us what those answers are?

RGV

I didn't mean I wanted your opinion on my answers. I just meant I wanted a second opinion on what the answers should be for the questions.

I think Question 3 is C.

I gave B for Q2 and D for Q3. I said B because of Galileo who said that all velocities are relative, and D because (although I don't know much about it at all) the speed of light isn't necessarily "c" in a non-intertial frame of reference. They answers given were A for Q2 and C for Q3. What do you guys think?

Your answers are correct. A and C are definitely wrong no matter how you interpret the question.

ideasrule said:
Your answers are correct. A and C are definitely wrong no matter how you interpret the question.

Great, thanks very much.

"D" and "C", respectively. One of the two postulates of special relativity is that the laws of physics are identical for all inertial frames of reference.

For the second one, the speed of light (in a vacuum) is always "c". There is nothing you can do to measure it to be any different (short of using a medium with a higher index of refraction).

Last edited:
yoshtov said:
"D" and "C", respectively. One of the two postulates of special relativity is that the laws of physics are identical for all inertial frames of reference.

For the second one, the speed of light (in a vacuum) is always "c". There is nothing you can do to measure it to be any different (short of using a medium with a higher index of refraction).

D is not correct for the first answer, re-read the question, it is about Galileo. C for the second is not correct either, the speed of light is only c in inertial reference frames.

The answers are B and D.

1. What is the theory of Special Relativity?

The theory of Special Relativity, developed by Albert Einstein in 1905, is a theory that explains the relationships between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does Special Relativity differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Special Relativity differs from Newton's laws of motion in that it takes into account the speed of light and the concept of space-time. Newton's laws only apply to objects moving at low speeds, while Special Relativity applies to all speeds, including the speed of light. It also shows that energy and mass are equivalent, which is not accounted for in Newton's laws.

3. Can Special Relativity be proven?

Yes, many experiments have been conducted that provide evidence for the validity of Special Relativity. One of the most famous is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's motion.

4. What are some practical applications of Special Relativity?

Special Relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which relies on the precise timing of signals from satellites that are moving at high speeds. It also plays a role in particle accelerators and nuclear energy, as well as in the development of atomic clocks.

5. Is Special Relativity still relevant today?

Absolutely. Special Relativity is a fundamental part of our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. It continues to be studied and applied in various fields of science, including astrophysics, particle physics, and cosmology.