Special Repelling Magnet Shoes

• Thread starter physicsfrenzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, a member named physicsfrenzy introduced a project idea involving using magnets to create a "spring" effect in shoes. However, other members pointed out various challenges and limitations, such as the need for magnets on the ground and the potential for ankle injuries. The idea was ultimately deemed impractical and not in line with the concept of conservation of momentum.
Magnetic and gravitational

This may also work for artificial gravity, whenever needed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Human268 said:
I accidentally saw this post and I have been planning the same project. I wonder if you have had any success? Although you are not creating new energy using these magnets, I think the springlike effect of opposing magnets could lead to greater energy efficiency in running. There are a lot of details that would need to be fine tuned - ie.. Magnetic strength, proper positioning and encasement for stability..etc. let me know if you are interested in collaboration

It appears that the original poster has not been back in about a year, and it appears no one else was interested in the idea, so it would appear that you are on your own. You might want to check out my response to a "Magnetic Bumpers" question. It has an equation, and numbers.

Uh oh. He never showed up again either. :blushing:

alionalizoti said:
This may also work for artificial gravity, whenever needed!

Is there an intermittent problem with natural gravity where you live?

It is a fun thing to think about though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iiXUeil5fQ​

and such beautiful music. :smile:

ps. wiki claims that magnetic boots are not used in real space ships. :frown:

Likes 1 person
The problem I'm running into as you may have guessed is that the weight and strength of the magnets required to produce any significant displacement of an average human body are prohibitive. The n52 magnets would be dangerously strong, and the negative effect of much heavier shoes may outweigh the benefits of the springlike effect. I still might tone it down and try it for fun.

Magnetic shoes

A simple schema would help people to better understand with your idea, although it is clear.
It won't be that easy to produce something like this, and don't forget specific switches onon/offoff !

It's been a while since the last post in this thread but I thought it was interesting that someone is actually trying to pitch this exact concept in a crowdfunding campaign.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/20-16-moonwalker-the-shoes-that-defy-gravity

Repelling neodymium magnets - basically an adult version of Moon Shoes. I do wonder whether it works well at all, since despite their claims of having a prototype, there's no video footage of them actually being used. Which usually suggests everyone's lofty imagination would be brought heavily back to Earth if they actually saw them in action.

Last edited by a moderator: