1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Heat molten lead Question

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If you pour 0.50 kg of molten lead at 328°C into 2.5 liters of water at 20°C, what will be the final temperatures of the water and the lead? The specific heat of (solid) lead has an average value of 3.4 X 10-2 kcal/kg • °C over the relevant temperature range.

2. Relevant equations
    Q=mass*c* [tex]\Delta[/tex] T
    masspb=0.50 Kg @328oC
    cpb=34 cal/KgoC
    cfusion=6800 cal
    3. The attempt at a solution

Qfusion=6800 cal/Kg * 0.50 Kg= 3400 cal
    Qpb = 3400 cal + .50Kg * 34 cal/KgoC* (328-x)

For Water:
    QH2O=2.5 Kg * 1000 cal/KgoC * (x-20oC)

Setting these equal to each other I get:

2517x=58976 cal

The back of the book has the answer of 22oC.

I can get 22oC as an answer only if I subtract the latent heat of fusion:

The math seems pretty straight forward, so it makes me wonder whether the book made an error, or I did.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

I think your answer is right. There's no reason to subtract the heat of fusion.
  4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply. This is the second time I've seen errors in the book, that's why I needed to make sure I hadn't made an error.
  5. Jan 25, 2010 #4

Staff: Mentor

I would not say "subtract", I would say "ignore". But it has to be taken into account.
  6. Dec 12, 2011 #5
    I realize this is a year old. But I just did the same problem but my book says the specific heat of lead is 140 J/kg*°C. Just in case somebody else reads this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook