Specific Heat of aluminum Problem

In summary: Yeah, you are in the right ballpark. Good work!So, now you can solve for Tf. :)In summary, the final temperature of the water and aluminum, when left in contact with each other in a styrofoam cup, can be determined by setting the heat transfer of the aluminum equal to the negative heat transfer of the water, using the equations Qal = mc(al)d(Tf-Ti) and Qwater = mc(water)d(Tf-Ti). This results in a single equation with one unknown (Tf), which can be solved to find the final temperature of both substances, as they reach thermal equilibrium with each other.
noboost4you
"A piece of aluminum (specific heat 910 J/kg-C) of mass 200g at 80.0 deg Celcius is dropped into a styrofoam cup filled with 100mL of water at 20.0 deg C. What are the final temperatures of the water and the aluminum?"

This is what I got:

I figured out the amount of heat energy transferred for each using the equation Q = mc(delta T)

a)
m = 200g = .200kg
c = 910 J/kg-C)
T = 80.0 deg C

Q = (.200kg)(910 J/kg-C)(80.0C)
Q = 14560 J

b)
m = 100mL = 100g = .100kg
c = 4190 J/kg-C)
T = 20.0 deg C

Q = (.100kg)(4190 J/kg-C)(20.0C)
Q = 8380 J

Ok, now this is where I'm confused. I don't know how to incorporate both of the temperatures when they are interacting with each other, or even what I did above was necessary.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking at it again from the beginning.

Q = (integral from Ti to Tf)mcdT
What does this mean? What are you interested in finding and how can this help you? I'll tell you that what you've done for calculating heat won't be very helpful. So scrap that, you have the right idea to look at the heats, but not quite like that.
(what you did for the aluminum heat was Q = (integral)mcdT where dT = 80C, which means that (Tf-Ti) = 80. But here you want to find a Tf from an intial T that you know is 80C)

Since the water is in a styrofoam cup, we could assume there is no heat loss to the surroundings. What will happen after a period of time to the temperatures of the aluminum and water when they are in contact? Here's a hint, they eventually reach thermal equilibrium with each other.
Ok, next.. how can we relate the heat transfer of the water(Qwater) to the heat transfer of the aluminum(Qal)? What is Qal and Qwater? Well,

Qwater = (integral)mc(water)dT
Qal = (integral)mc(al)dT

Remember, the aluminum is going from temperature 80 to some Tf, and water going from temperature 20C to some Tf too.

Now, if i have body A and i place it in thermal equilibrium with body B and heat is transferred from one body to the other(that is to say that their temperatures are not equal to start with), then the heat transferred into body A is related to the heat transferred from out of body B how?
Qa = -Qb. Right? Do you understand why?

So, relate Qwater to Qal, then solve for your temperature(When you relate Qal to Qwater, you will have only 1 unkown!)

Well, i hope this makes sense to you and will help you! If you're still lost or confused by how i put things, just let me know and i'll try to word my thoughts better! :D

Last edited:
Sorry this reply took so long, and thanks for your previous post.

For Al, Ti = 80C
For Water, Ti = 20C

So I should use this equation? Qwater = mc(water)d(Tf-Ti) where I know m, c, and Ti

Qal = mc(al)d(Tf-Ti) where I know m, c, and Ti again

But now I have two unknowns and I'm stuck once again.

Any suggestions? :confused: Thanks

"Qa = -Qb. Right?"

So if Qal = mc(al)d(Tf-Ti) and Qwater = mc(water)d(Tf-Ti) and Qal = -Qwater, then would this be the correct equation with only one unknown?::

mc(al)d(Tf-Ti) = -[mc(water)d(Tf-Ti)] ?

Where I know both m, both c, and both Ti ?

Then I can solve for Tf which should be equal to each other because of thermal equilibrium, correct?

Am I in the right ballpark with what I have written above?

yes, they end up with the same Temperature.
(Otherwise the answers depend on how long the Aluminum is left in the water!)

1. What is the specific heat of aluminum?

The specific heat of aluminum is 0.897 J/g°C. This means that it takes 0.897 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of aluminum by 1 degree Celsius.

2. How is the specific heat of aluminum determined?

The specific heat of aluminum is determined experimentally by measuring the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a known mass of aluminum by a certain number of degrees. This is typically done using a calorimeter.

3. Why is the specific heat of aluminum important?

The specific heat of aluminum is important because it tells us how much energy is needed to change the temperature of aluminum, which is a commonly used material in many industries. This information is useful in designing and building systems that involve heating or cooling aluminum.

4. Does the specific heat of aluminum change with temperature?

No, the specific heat of aluminum is relatively constant over a wide range of temperatures. However, at extremely low temperatures (close to absolute zero), the specific heat may slightly increase due to changes in the atomic structure of aluminum.

5. How does the specific heat of aluminum compare to other materials?

The specific heat of aluminum is relatively low compared to other common materials, such as water and iron. This means that it takes less energy to raise the temperature of aluminum compared to these materials. However, aluminum has a higher specific heat than some other metals, such as copper and gold.