Specific Heat Problem, not getting the correct answer

In summary: Substituting the entire formula:CMΔT(copper) + CMΔT(water) = -CMΔT(iron)CMΔT(copper) + CMΔT(water) = -CMΔT(iron)CMΔT(copper) + CMΔT(water) = -CMΔT(iron)Tfinal = (CMΔT(copper) + CMΔT(water)) / (CMΔT(copper)+CMΔT(water-Cironmiron))Tfinal = (0.500kg+0.170kg-0
HRubss

Homework Statement

A copper pot with a mass of 0.500 kg contains 0.170 kg
of water, and both are at a temperature of 20.0°C. A 0.250-kg
block of iron at 85.0°C is dropped into the pot. Find the final temperature
of the system, assuming no heat loss to the surroundings.

Homework Equations

Q = cmΔT
ΣQ = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I know that all these materials will reach thermal equilibrium and that the iron will be the only one losing heat so...

CcoppermcopperΔT + CwatermwaterΔT - CironmironΔT = 0

I expanded all the specific heats, brought the individual heats at initial temperature and then solved for Tfinal. I got...
Tfinal = (CcoppermcopperTinitial+CwatermwaterTinitial-CironmironTinitial) /(Ccoppermcopper+Cwatermwater-Cironmiron)

I converted to Kelvin and got about 10.47°C, the answer should be 27.45°C... I don't understand what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
HRubss said:
CcoppermcopperΔT + CwatermwaterΔT - CironmironΔT = 0
You should put a plus sign in front of CironmironΔT and you shouldn't really use the same symbol ΔT to denote two temperature changes in this case. The equation says that the sum of all the heat transfers must be zero as the iron loses heat (negative ΔTiron) and the copper and water gain heat (positive ΔTcopper+water). In other words, the changes in temperature are algebraic quantities, that could be positive or negative.

kuruman said:
You should put a plus sign in front of CironmironΔT and you shouldn't really use the same symbol ΔT to denote two temperature changes in this case. The equation says that the sum of all the heat transfers must be zero as the iron loses heat (negative ΔTiron) and the copper and water gain heat (positive ΔTcopper+water). In other words, the changes in temperature are algebraic quantities, that could be positive or negative.

So the equation should be like this?
ΔQ(copper) + ΔQ(water) = - ΔQ(iron)

HRubss said:
So the equation should be like this?
ΔQ(copper) + ΔQ(water) = - ΔQ(iron)
Sure, or equivalently:

ΔQ(copper) + ΔQ(water) + ΔQ(iron) = 0

The trick is to get the ΔQ's correct for each term, and that means paying attention to the signs of the temperate changes that apply to each of the ΔQ's (some materials are rising in temperature, gaining heat, while others are lowering in temperature, losing heat).

gneill said:
Sure, or equivalently:

ΔQ(copper) + ΔQ(water) + ΔQ(iron) = 0

The trick is to get the ΔQ's correct for each term, and that means paying attention to the signs of the temperate changes that apply to each of the ΔQ's (some materials are rising in temperature, gaining heat, while others are lowering in temperature, losing heat).
So...
Substituting the entire formula:
CMΔT(copper) + CMΔT(water) = -CMΔT(iron)
I know that ΔT of copper and water should be the same and I want to get all the T(final) all on one side:
ΔT(CM(copper) + CM(water)) = -CMT(final, iron) + CMT(initial, iron),
and from here, I split up the ΔT of copper/water and then solve for T final by getting the iron's Tfinal on the other side?

Sure, that's the idea.

Likes HRubss

1. Why is my calculated specific heat value different from the accepted value?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there was an error in your measurements or calculations. It's important to double check all of your work and make sure you are using the correct units. Another possibility is that the substance you are working with may have impurities that affect its specific heat. Additionally, the accepted value may be an average or a theoretical value, while your calculated value may be specific to the particular sample you were working with.

2. How can I improve my accuracy when determining specific heat?

To improve accuracy, make sure you are using precise and calibrated instruments for your measurements. Also, be sure to repeat your experiment multiple times and take an average of your results. This can help to reduce any errors or inconsistencies in your data. Additionally, using a larger sample size can also help to improve accuracy.

3. What is the difference between specific heat capacity and specific heat?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. It is often represented by the symbol "c". Specific heat, on the other hand, is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is often represented by the symbol "C". In other words, specific heat capacity is a property of a substance, while specific heat is a quantity that depends on the mass of the substance.

4. Can specific heat change with temperature?

Yes, the specific heat of a substance can vary with temperature. This is because the internal energy and structure of the substance can change with temperature, affecting how it responds to heat. In some cases, the specific heat may increase with temperature, while in others it may decrease.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving specific heat problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong units, not properly isolating the substance being studied, and not taking into account the specific heat of any materials used in the experiment (such as the container). It's also important to carefully calibrate and use precise instruments, as well as to double check all calculations and conversions. Finally, be sure to use the correct formula for the specific heat problem you are trying to solve.