Specific Heat & Velocity relationship?

In summary, the mass of the lump of lead did not affect the answer. The energy was converted into heat when it was brought to rest.
ashsully
[Mentor's note: this was originally posted in a non-homework forum and therefore does not use the homework template.]

Hi everyone,
I'm a bit stuck on this question and hoping someone could give me the solution.

"A lump of lead, moving with a velocity of 22.0 m/s, is brought to rest. If 55.0% of the work done in stopping the lead is converted into heat, what will be the temperature rise of the lead? Take the specific heat of lead to be 1.30 x 10^2."

In the answers, they just give the answer of 1.02 degrees Celsius. I can't figure out how they got there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What energy does the lump of lead have when it is moving ? What happens to that energy when the lump is brought to rest ?

nb: Actual mass of the lump is not given in question so do all calculations for a mass M .

Last edited:
The mass was not given in the question, which confused me.

Go ahead and leave mass as a variable and see if the mass cancels out in the end.

The question was asking to find out the unknown variable of the temperature change. If mass cancels out how would it be possible to determine the amount of energy?

Is it possible to solve the question with the information provided?

This is the first time I've ever taken physics as a subject so I'm a complete beginner.

This was my first post and I realized I posted in the wrong section. (sorry!)

The lump of lead initially has Kinetic energy .

KE = 0.5 * M * v^2 where M is the mass and v the velocity . Units N-m or Joule .

On impact with whatever is bringing the lump to rest this energy is converted into heat and we are told that 55% of this heat goes into the lump .

Now read about Specific Heat and see if you can complete the question .

Last edited:
Likes ashsully
Thank you so much for your help!
I got the right answer and you guys to thank.

Have a nice day

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is also known as heat capacity.

How is specific heat related to velocity?

Specific heat is not directly related to velocity. Velocity is a measure of the speed of an object, while specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a substance. However, the specific heat of a substance can be affected by the velocity of the particles within it, as faster moving particles may have a higher kinetic energy and therefore a higher specific heat.

What is the formula for calculating specific heat?

The formula for specific heat is Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How does specific heat affect the behavior of substances?

Different substances have different specific heat values, which can affect their behavior. Substances with a higher specific heat will require more heat to change their temperature, and therefore may have a slower response to temperature changes. This can be seen in substances like water, which has a high specific heat and therefore takes longer to heat up or cool down compared to other substances.

Can specific heat be used to identify substances?

Yes, specific heat can be used as a way to identify substances. Each substance has a unique specific heat value, so by measuring the specific heat of a substance, it is possible to determine what type of substance it is. This is often used in forensic science and material identification.