1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Internal Energy of a diatomic gas

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    Hi all, I'm stuck on a question, and I'm hoping you guys can help... Anyway, here it is:

A J-shock in a Herbig-Haro object is propagating through neutral hydrogen gas at speed 100 kms-1. The gas has number density 107 m-3 and temperature 104 K.

(d) The internal energy per unit mass of a gas is,
    U= ((gamma) - 1)^-1 * P/(rho). Use this to show that the specific internal energy of the post shock gas is, 3/2 * P(1)/(rho)(1)= 9/32 v(0)^2.

In this question;

(gamma) = the adiabatic constant, which, for H(2) is 7/5
    P(1) = Post shock pressure = 5/6 (rho)(0) v(0)^2
    (rho)(1) = 6(rho)(0)

which I believe is all that should be required, symbol-wise.

I can do this for a monatomic gas, but I'm having trouble getting the same result for a diatomic gas.
    Have I made a mistake in assuming that the shock is propagating through a diatomic gas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not sure I understand everything involved here, but I think the point may be that diatomic gas molecules have 5 degrees of freedom but that only three degrees of freedom (translation only) are involved in the propagation of a compression wave.

AM

4. Apr 21, 2006 #3
    That's great, thanks!

I had actually gone through this question the first time just assuming it was a monatomic gas, then kicking myself when I remembered H was diatomic.
    Now, at least, I have a reason to do so, and am now kicking myself again...

Many thanks! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?