1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific parts of the emission spectrum of a sodium lamp

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Part a) The emission spectrum for Sodium lamp contains a reasonably bright red line in its spectrum. What is its origin?

Part b) The possible transitions between electron energy levels for Sodium were analysed. There were no transitions between the s series (s subshell) and d series (d subshell). Why is that?

2. Relevant equations
    None really.

3. The attempt at a solution

Part a) I analysed the diffuse d series and this red line isn't in it. I also analysed the origin of the famous yellow doublet but that really isn't overly relevent. I've done a heap of browsing the web and books and am yet to find anything at all. Most sources simply talk about the yellow doublet

Part b) As I said, I analysed the diffuse d series but these are all transitions between d orbitals and the 3p energy level. I'm thinking something along the lines of not conserving angular momentum or spin or something would prevent transitions between d and s series but I'm really not sure. As with Part a), the web and books have been useless so far so this is a bit of a last resort.

Thank you kindly in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2
    I found a database with all known wavelengths but I have no real idea of where the red wavelength is so it's so hard to tell.

4. May 11, 2009 #3
    For part b) I was told it's not to do with conservation of spin. Conservation of angular momentum perhaps?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook