Specific solution of diff eq, no initial value

In summary, the conversation is about finding a general solution to a given differential equation, which takes the form y = Cx3. The individual is also trying to find a second solution with a different value of n, and they suggest y = 0x^n as a possible solution. They later confirm that this is indeed the correct solution.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation
059b0fc5ef0cd85a055fc8a05eef301.png

Find a general solution to this differential equation that has the form
c1403c12bfdafbad58b32041c1e5381.png

y = Cx3

Find a second solution
c1403c12bfdafbad58b32041c1e5381.png
that might not be a general solution and which may have a different value of n than your first solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part of the problem
y = Cx3

But am at a complete loss for how to find a second explicit solution without being given an initial value.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing ##y=0## isn't what is being wanted here although it is a solution.

Question: Is ##y = |x|^3## a solution?

Why would you guess that? [tex]y= 0x^n[/tex] is a solution for any n.

LCKurtz said:
I'm guessing ##y=0## isn't what is being wanted here although it is a solution.

Question: Is ##y = |x|^3## a solution?

HallsofIvy said:
Why would you guess that? [tex]y= 0x^n[/tex] is a solution for any n.

Are you addressing me? Yes, I know it is a solution for any n, as I said. But, given the poor wording of the question, I thought they might be looking for the more interesting ##y = |x|^3##.

I've tried y=0 and y=e^c(x^3), I'll see if it accepts y=0x^n but I think they're looking for a specific nedit: 0x^n was it! Thanks!

1. What is a specific solution of a differential equation?

A specific solution of a differential equation is a function that satisfies the given equation. It is obtained by substituting specific values for the constants in the general solution of the differential equation.

2. Can a specific solution of a differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a specific solution of a differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a differential equation contains arbitrary constants, which can take on different values and result in different specific solutions.

3. Do I need initial values to find a specific solution of a differential equation?

No, you do not necessarily need initial values to find a specific solution of a differential equation. However, having initial values can help you determine the values of the arbitrary constants in the general solution and result in a more precise specific solution.

4. What is the difference between a general solution and a specific solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation contains arbitrary constants and represents all possible solutions to the equation. A specific solution, on the other hand, is obtained by substituting specific values for the constants and represents a particular solution to the equation.

5. How do you verify if a specific solution is correct?

To verify if a specific solution is correct, you can substitute it into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. The solution should result in both sides of the equation being equal.