Antivirus false positive on ransomware and keylogger for MikTex & TexStudio?

Wrichik Basu said:
But then again, there is a chance of the antivirus putting the .dll and .exe files into quarantine (as I said, it is not listening to me even if i ask it to do otherwise). Nevertheless, I will try your method.
Assuming your Windows OS is not corrupted, Safe Mode won't start the AV product, so the AV product will have no chance of interfering with your installs.

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
@sysprog Tried in Safe mode, but got this error:

Capture4.JPG

This seems to be a well-known bug over the internet, with no fix unfortunately.

Same error came in Normal mode too (I bypassed the ransomware alert) when I tried later.

Try installing into a directory path that doesn't include spaces in any of the directory (folder) names.
@sysprog Tried in Safe mode, but got this error:

View attachment 243294

This seems to be a well-known bug over the internet, with no fix unfortunately.

Same error came in Normal mode too (I bypassed the ransomware alert) when I tried later.
I suggest that you try copying the installer file into a newly created directory/folder, such as C:\temp01, and when running the installer, specify another newly created directory/folder, such as C:\MikTeX, with no spaces in the directory/folder name, as the target directory/folder. Also ensure that the original installer filename is not changed, including by a (1) or (2) index being inserted into it due it being a subsequent download of the file. If you encounter the problem again, please move the alert box aside before making a screenshot and posting it, so that the content of the window behind it is visible.

Last edited:
I trust you've cloned the drive, and put the clone away in a drawer.

TexStudio comes up clean with just about every other antivirus scanner out there:

It's also hard to believe that you'd get so many roadblocks from a false postiive. I would download the installer from a different source, and try again. If that works, notify the original source ASAP.

James Demers said:
I trust you've cloned the drive, and put the clone away in a drawer.
Of course it's a good idea to make some kind of reliable backup.
TexStudio comes up clean with just about every other antivirus scanner out there:
The VirusTotal site that you linked to looks like a useful resource; however, a TexStudio install is not at issue at this juncture; the MikTeX product install is, and the MikTeX installer passes the tests there too. I think it's worth noting that QuickHeal, the AV product in question in this thread, is not on the list of AV engines there.
It's also hard to believe that you'd get so many roadblocks from a false postiive. I would download the installer from a different source, and try again. If that works, notify the original source ASAP.
That seems like a wrong remedy to me. I think that @Wrichik Basu has already adequately verified the authenticity of the installers of both programs, and has now encountered another problem that is probably not related directly to his AV product. I think that his current obstacle may be related to his prior MikTeX install attempts having produced some residual detritus that is interfering with his most recent attempt.

Last edited:

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
I suggest that you try copying the installer file into a newly created directory/folder, such as C:\temp01, and when running the installer, specify another newly created directory/folder, such as C:\MikTeX, with no spaces in the directory/folder name, as the target directory/folder. Also ensure that the original installer filename is not changed, including by a (1) or (2) index being inserted into it due it being a subsequent download of the file. If you encounter the problem again, please move the alert box aside before making a screenshot and posting it, so that the content of the window behind it is visible.
Followed your advice word by word. Got the same error:

Capture5.JPG

I had previously not been able to replicate your problem; however, I had been using the 64-bit version. Using the 32-bit version, I was able to replicate the problem when running with (other than the install directory) the default options. When I switched from 'for all users' to 'this user only', the install ran successfully.

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
I had previously not been able to replicate your problem; however, I had been using the 64-bit version. Using the 32-bit version, I was able to replicate the problem when running with (other than the install directory) the default options. When I switched from 'for all users' to 'this user only', the install ran successfully.
Thanks, could finally install MikTex properly (I installed in safe mode).

MikTex wants to set the PATH variable to its own bin folder. The variable already has the jdk address. I know I can set multiple addresses with the delimiter ;, but MikTex is not taking this. It wants to be the sole address in the PATH variable.

Capture6.JPG

Any idea how I can keep both addresses (jdk and miktex) in PATH?

Last edited: