Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Spectroscopy of Rb - crossover peaks more intense?

1. Dec 5, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I am currently looking into the atomic spectroscopy of Rb using saturated absorption spectroscopy. So far I can observe the crossover peaks with hyperfine splitting. I am aware of why crossover peaks occur however do not understand why these transitions are so much more intense than the other peaks?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Dec 24, 2016 #3
    I know how saturation spectroscopy works but I am not sure which peaks you are referring by crossover peaks.

5. Dec 25, 2016 #4

Twigg

Gold Member

He means the peaks caused when the pump laser excites atoms from one transition's Gaussian tail that overlap in frequency with atoms interacting with the probe beam from the Gaussian tail of a different transition. C. J. Foot explains it and uses the term crossover resonance in Chapter 7 or so of Atomic Physics.

Unfortunately I don't remember why the crossover peaks appear bigger. If you have access to such a setup, you may want to experiment with the power of the pump beam to see if you can't control the relative sizes of the pure transitions and the crossovers. Power broadening may be part of the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted