Speed limitations of pot & arduino for angle measurement?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a continuous rotation potentiometer on a pulley, controlled by an Arduino, to measure angle data for a robot arm. The main concerns are the limitations for how fast the pulley can turn and the potential noise and wear on the potentiometer. The option of using a rotary encoder is also mentioned, with resources for finding encoder shields and libraries for the Arduino provided.
CraigH
If I am using a continuous rotation potentiometer on a pulley, and I want to use an Arduino to convert this reading into an angle as part of an angle control system, then what are the limitations for how fast the pulley can turn?

Specifically, if the pulley is turning at 450RPM, will a potentiometer be sufficient or will I have to use an encoder?

I am just worried that the faster it is turning, the more noise there will be. I'm also worried about stray capacitance's preventing the voltage from changing to rapidly. On top of this I will have to use a low pass filter to filter out the noise, which may start to filter out the actual signal at high speeds.

So what is the maximum speed (RPM) that I can still read angle data from with a continuous rotation potentiometer and arduino.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Besides the maximum speed you also have to consider the number of rotations before the pot fails from wear.

Can you describe your application in more detail? Do you need continuous angle readings or are discrete readings acceptable?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Besides the maximum speed you also have to consider the number of rotations before the pot fails from wear.

Can you describe your application in more detail? Do you need continuous angle readings or are discrete readings acceptable?

BoB

Discrete readings are acceptable, if I can achieve a precision of 1 degree. The pot will be attached to a pulley, driven by a high torque DC drill motor running at 450 RPM. It is part of the control system for a (fairly heavy) robot arm.

Wear is certainly a issue, but the main concern for our project group is time. We're running out of time, and need something quick and easy to implement, otherwise we're going to end up with no robot at all. Next years group can worry about the wear on the pots ;)

We're torn between the options of pot or a rotary encoder. Unless I can find a simple encoder that is super easy to interface with an Arduino, we'll probably choose the pot. Unless you can convince me that the pot won't work very well?

Edit:

We've now decided if we use a pot it will be a 5 or 10 turn, as there is no dead zone.

Last edited:
they have encoder shields for the ardunio, as well as libraries and many tutorials/pre written code

donpacino said:
they have encoder shields for the ardunio, as well as libraries and many tutorials/pre written code

Can you please link me to where I can buy these encoder shields? Also, where can I find a library written for it?

Thanks.

1. What is the maximum speed at which a potentiometer can measure angles using an Arduino?

The maximum speed of a potentiometer in measuring angles with an Arduino depends on several factors such as the accuracy of the potentiometer, the resolution of the analog-to-digital converter (ADC) on the Arduino, and the processing speed of the Arduino itself. Generally, potentiometers can measure angles at speeds up to several hundred times per second.

2. How accurate is the angle measurement using a potentiometer and Arduino?

The accuracy of the angle measurement using a potentiometer and Arduino depends on the resolution of the ADC on the Arduino. For example, if the ADC has a resolution of 10 bits, the angle measurement will be accurate to within 1/1024 of a full rotation. To improve accuracy, more precise potentiometers and higher resolution ADCs can be used.

3. Can the speed of angle measurement be increased by using multiple potentiometers?

Yes, the speed of angle measurement can be increased by using multiple potentiometers. This is because each potentiometer can measure a different portion of the angle, allowing for faster and more precise measurements. However, this also requires additional processing and programming to combine the measurements from each potentiometer.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the speed limitations of potentiometers and Arduinos for angle measurement?

Yes, other factors that can affect the speed limitations include the quality and type of wires used to connect the potentiometer to the Arduino, the sampling rate set in the Arduino code, and any external interference or noise that may affect the readings.

5. Are there any alternative methods for measuring angles with an Arduino that may have higher speed limitations?

Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring angles with an Arduino that may have higher speed limitations. These include using rotary encoders, gyroscope sensors, and digital potentiometers. Each of these methods has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the most suitable one based on the specific requirements of the project.