1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a bullet in ballistic spring system

1. May 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have been asked to design a "ballistic spring system" to measure the speed of bullets. A bullet of mass 6.20 g is fired into a block of mass 2.10 kg. The block, with the embedded bullet, then slides across a frictionless table and collides with a horizontal spring whose spring constant is k=63.0 N/m. The opposite end of the spring is anchored to a wall. What was the speed of the bullet if the spring's maximum compression is 12.1 cm?

2. Relevant equations
    pinitial=pfinal
    E=0.5*k*x2
    E= 0.5*m*v2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    m1= bullet and m2= block; v1= vbullet

i first solved m1v1+m2v2= mtotal*vfinal for Vfinal..so that looked like vfinal= m1*v1/mtotal

then i used the energy equations to get 0.5*k*x2= 0.5*m*v2
    in v2 i substituted m1*v1/mtotal
    and then tried to solve for v1 which is the speed of the bullet we are looking for ...and my hwk app. is telling me my answer is wrong...so i was wondering if i made a mistake in the workings somewhere..

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your method looks fine. Provide your final equation for v in terms of m1 and m2.

Also: Check that you haven't made an arithmetic error.

4. May 22, 2009 #3
    this is how my equation looks like
    (k*x2)/mbullet= (m1*v1/mtotal)2

[tex]\sqrt{}(k*x^2)/mbullet[/tex] *Mtotal/mbullet = vbullet2

the square root only applies to the k*x2/mbullet

does that look right ??

5. May 23, 2009 #4

Doc Al

That should be:
    (k*x2)/mtotal= (m1*v1/mtotal)2

6. May 23, 2009 #5
    i got the right answer but was wondering why it wouldnt be mass of bullet that would be divided by the energy of spring>>??

7. May 23, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Because after the collision, the KE of the system is ½mtotalv2. The bullet and block are treated as one unit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook