Speed of a proton question - Need Help~

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving an electron entering an electric field. The correct answer to the problem is 1.63 x 10^7 m/s, but the person asking the question is not getting the same answer. They have provided an image of their work and are asking for clarification on whether the electron will be speeding up or slowing down after entering the electric field.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Ok here is the question: Image below:

16izd51.png

Now the correct answer is: 1.63 x 10^7 m/s

I am not getting that. Look at the image below to see what I am getting, with my work.

n154r8.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
nukeman said:

Homework Statement

Ok here is the question: Image below:

16izd51.png

Now the correct answer is: 1.63 x 10^7 m/s

I am not getting that. Look at the image below to see what I am getting, with my work.

n154r8.jpg

Homework Equations

So will the electron be speeding up or slowing down after it enters the Electric field.

Note: the problem is about an electron, but your title mentions "a proton question"?

The Attempt at a Solution

So will the electron be speeding up or slowing down after it enters the Electric field.

Note: the problem is about an electron, but your title mentions "a proton question"?

1. What is the speed of a proton?

The speed of a proton can vary depending on its energy level and the environment it is in. However, on average, a proton can travel at speeds of up to 99.9% the speed of light.

2. How is the speed of a proton measured?

The speed of a proton can be measured using specialized equipment such as particle accelerators. These machines use electric fields to accelerate the protons and then measure their speed using detectors.

3. Why is the speed of a proton important to study?

The speed of a proton is important to study because it is the building block of matter and understanding how it moves can help us understand the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe.

4. Can the speed of a proton be changed?

Yes, the speed of a proton can be changed by applying external forces such as electric or magnetic fields. These forces can accelerate or decelerate the proton, altering its speed.

5. How does the speed of a proton compare to the speed of other particles?

The speed of a proton is relatively slow compared to other subatomic particles such as electrons or neutrons. However, it is still incredibly fast, traveling at speeds of millions of meters per second.