Special relativity question, NEED HELP

In summary: The two events associated with this measurement are the start and end of the flight.b. The traveler measures the proper time.c. The ground assistants measure the shorter flight time due to time dilation. In summary, the two events associated with measuring flight time are the start and end of the flight, the traveler measures the proper time, and the ground assistants measure the shorter flight time due to time dilation.
RagincajunLA
Hey guys I am doing special relativity in my physics class and we are working on time dilation. Right now I am really confused by what my teacher said and what the book says. Can someone help me out? here is my question...

Your friend flies from Los Angeles to New York. She carries an accurate stopwatch with her to measure the flight time. You and your assistants on the ground measure the flight time as well.

a. Identify the two events associated with this measurement.
b. Who, if anyone, measures the proper time?
c. Who, if anyone, measure the shorter flight time?

I am so confused by this, please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
RagincajunLA said:
Hey guys I am doing special relativity in my physics class and we are working on time dilation. Right now I am really confused by what my teacher said and what the book says. Can someone help me out? here is my question...

Your friend flies from Los Angeles to New York. She carries an accurate stopwatch with her to measure the flight time. You and your assistants on the ground measure the flight time as well.

a. Identify the two events associated with this measurement.
b. Who, if anyone, measures the proper time?
c. Who, if anyone, measure the shorter flight time?

I am so confused by this, please help me
In a. the question is asking for the two events that determine the flight time. An event is a point in space and time. A measurement of space-time requires finding the displacement in space and in time between two events.

So what are the two events in each frame of reference (either the traveler or the person on the ground) the difference in the time co-ordinates of which is the measure the time of flight?.

In b., proper time is the time in the frame of reference of the inertial observer. Hint: in this case, is the traveler always an inertial observer?

In c., the question asks about time dilation. Observers in two different inertial frames will measure time differently.

AM

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravitational forces. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. How does time dilation work in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest. This occurs because the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their motion. As an object's velocity increases, time appears to slow down for that object relative to a stationary observer.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which all energy, matter, and information can travel in the universe. This means that no object with mass can ever reach or exceed the speed of light, and time and space become relative concepts at this speed.

4. How does special relativity affect our everyday lives?

Special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology, such as GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects at extremely high speeds, such as in space travel. However, its effects are not noticeable in our daily lives unless we are traveling at very high speeds close to the speed of light.

5. How does special relativity differ from general relativity?

Special relativity only applies to objects in uniform motion, while general relativity applies to all objects, including those experiencing gravitational forces. Special relativity does not take into account gravity, whereas general relativity explains how gravity affects the shape of space and the flow of time. General relativity is a more comprehensive theory that incorporates special relativity.