Finding Angular Velocity of Pulley with Rope and Mass

In summary, the student is trying to solve equations for the energy of a rotating disk with a hanging mass. They are having trouble understanding what h is and if it matters.
DaniV
1. Homework Statement
a circular homogenic pulley (disk) with radius R and mass of M hanging on a axis that passes through his center,
the pulley rotating without friction.
we wrap the pulley with a rope with a total mass of mr and length of L and in the other side of the rope we ataching body with a mass of m* , m* is starting to go down while rotating the disk
find the angular velocity of the pullay as function of the length of the suspanded rope -x
GUF KASHIAH.jpg

Homework Equations

Ipulley=MR^2/2 - inertia torque of the pulley (in the center of mass)
Irope=mr*R^2 - inertia torque of the rope (at the beginning when wrapped)
E=0.5Iω^2 -energy to rotate the disk pulley
U=m*gh-potential energy of the mass m* at the beginning (h is not given)

The Attempt at a Solution

iv`e tried to do equations of preserving energy between the start point when we have only potential of the mass m* and to equalize it to the point when we have a total hanging mass of m**= m* + mr(x/L) in a height of (h-x) -potential energy plus kinetic energy of 0.5m**v^2 when v equal to ωR. this energy also going for the rotation of the pulley E=0.5Iω^2. I suceeded by finding the height of h with those equations: h=x+m*L/mr-ω^2R^2/2g-m*ω^2R^2L/2mrg.
but it doesn't helps me finding the relation between x and ω...
I can`t find more equation, couldn`t think of an equation that link also the inertia of the "ring" of the wrapped rope...

Physics news on Phys.org
If h is not given, why introduce it? Can't you take it as zero?
By the way, I think your energy equation is not quite right.

haruspex said:
If h is not given, why introduce it? Can't you take it as zero?
By the way, I think your energy equation is not quite right.
how could I express potential energy without h? or the potential energy isn`t relevantic at all?

DaniV said:
how could I express potential energy without h? or the potential energy isn`t relevantic at all?
maybe I misunderstood what your h is. I took it to be the initial length of the hanging rope. If it means the height of the pulley above the ground, its contribution to PE is constant. Just take the reference ground as the height of the centre of the pulley.

1. What is angular velocity and why is it important in this scenario?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. In the case of a pulley with a rope and mass, it is important because it helps determine the speed at which the mass will move and how much tension will be exerted on the rope.

2. How do you calculate the angular velocity of a pulley with a rope and mass?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the object. In this scenario, the linear velocity can be calculated by dividing the speed of the mass by the length of the rope, and the radius can be determined by measuring the distance from the axis of rotation to the edge of the pulley.

3. Can the angular velocity change over time?

Yes, the angular velocity of a pulley with a rope and mass can change over time. Factors such as the mass of the object, the length and tension of the rope, and external forces can all affect the angular velocity.

4. How does friction affect the angular velocity of the pulley?

Friction can have a significant impact on the angular velocity of the pulley. If there is friction between the pulley and the rope, it can slow down the rotation and decrease the angular velocity. On the other hand, if there is friction between the pulley and the axis of rotation, it can increase the angular velocity.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the angular velocity of a pulley with a rope and mass?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for this concept. The most common example is in machines and devices that use pulleys, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. Understanding the angular velocity can help engineers design these systems more efficiently and effectively.