Speed of a truck wthout brakes down a hill

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jamilm9
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. Hi,
I'm trying to find the speed that a truck rolling down a hill which brakes have failed. The hill has a drop of 85 meters vertically and a horizontal of 1510 meters. The hill is like a right angle where the bottom right is the 90 degrees. The bottom left is 3.2 degrees and the top right is 86.8 degrees according to my calculations. Assuming the truck weighs 100 000 pounds or 45359 kg and has a starting speed of 50 km/h at the top of the hill what is the speed at the bottom of the hill. Can you please show all your equations so I can sub in any values that I need to.
Thank You
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jamilm9! welcome to PF!

you need to show your approach here, if you are stuck we will help you.

however, try to equate the potential energy at top with kinetic energy at the bottom and find velocity.