Finding the Braking Force of a Truck on an Inclined Plane

In summary, a truck with a mass of 1.5 tonnes and a speed of 36 km/h down a hill with a slope of 1 in 6 comes to rest in 2 seconds after the driver applies the brakes. Using the equation ##v=u+at##, the deceleration is calculated to be -5 m/s^2. However, this does not take into account the slope of the hill, which would affect the net force acting on the truck. Further consideration and a free body diagram are needed to accurately calculate the braking force.
Bill_Nye_Fan

Homework Statement

A truck of mass 1.5 tonnes (1500 kg) is moving at a speed of 36 km/h down a hill of slope 1 in 6. The driver applies the breaks and the truck comes to rest after 2 seconds. Find the breaking force, which is assumed to be constant, ignoring any other resistant forces.

Homework Equations

##v=u+at##
A slope of 1 in 6 means ##\sin \left(\theta \right)=\frac{1}{6}##

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted 36 km/h into 10 m/s.
I then rearranged and solved ##v=u+at## to get ##a=\frac{v-u}{t}=\frac{0-10}{2}=-5\ ms^{-2}##

This makes sense as the negative sign is denoting that the breaking force is acting in the opposite direction to motion. I noted that this deceleration is being caused purely by the breaks, therefore the breaking force should be ##F_b=-5\cdot 1500=-7500## however this isn't right. I know I didn't use the slope of 1 in 6 part, but I don't understand why I would need it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram and consider the net force acting along the slope.

Bill_Nye_Fan said:
I know I didn't use the slope of 1 in 6 part, but I don't understand why I would need it.
What if the truck were braking while moving uphill or along a horizontal surface? According to your solution the braking force will be the same in all cases. Does this make sense?

I think you really want the brake force, not the break force.

1. How do you find the braking force of a truck on an inclined plane?

To find the braking force of a truck on an inclined plane, you need to calculate the weight of the truck and the angle of the incline. Then, you can use the formula Fb = μmgcosθ, where Fb is the braking force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the truck, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the braking force?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how much resistance there is between two surfaces in contact. It affects the braking force because it determines the amount of friction between the truck's tires and the inclined plane, which is necessary for the truck to stop.

3. Is the braking force affected by the weight of the truck?

Yes, the weight of the truck plays a crucial role in determining the braking force. The heavier the truck, the more force is needed to stop it on an inclined plane. This is because the weight of the truck contributes to the overall force of gravity, which must be counteracted by the braking force.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the braking force?

The angle of the incline has a significant impact on the braking force. As the angle of the incline increases, the force of gravity pulling the truck down the slope also increases. This means that a steeper incline will require a higher braking force to stop the truck from rolling down.

5. Can the braking force of a truck on an inclined plane be reduced?

Yes, the braking force can be reduced by decreasing the weight of the truck or by decreasing the angle of the incline. Additionally, using anti-lock braking systems or other advanced braking technology can also help to reduce the overall braking force needed on an inclined plane.