Speed of Block after Newton's Second Law

In summary, for part A of the homework, the acceleration can be calculated using the equation (Tcos∂-((mg-Tsin∂)*\muk)) / m. For part B, the equation v = v0 + at should be used with v0 being 0 due to the object starting to move. It is not necessary to include static or kinetic friction in the equation.
idllotsaroms

Homework Statement

http://postimage.org/image/6exf0w475/

B)
I have a question on this part. Would I just use the "v = v0 at" equation here because the question states "after it starts moving?" Do i need to include static/kinetic friction into this equation somehow?

Homework Equations

part a) Newton's Second Law

part b) v=v0 at

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I found the acceleration to be (Tcos∂-((mg-Tsin∂)*[itex]\mu[/itex]k)) / m

For part B I'm thinking that I use "v = v0 at" but the "after it starts moving" part of the question confuses me. Does it mean that v0 would be 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
idllotsaroms said:
For part A, I found the acceleration to be (Tcos∂-((mg-Tsin∂)*[itex]\mu[/itex]k)) / m
That's fine. (Where you use T instead of F.)

For part B I'm thinking that I use "v = v0 at" but the "after it starts moving" part of the question confuses me. Does it mean that v0 would be 0?
Yes, v0 = 0. The equation you mean is v = v0 + at.

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be written as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does Newton's Second Law relate to the speed of a block?

The speed of a block can be calculated using Newton's Second Law. By knowing the mass of the block and the net force acting on it, the acceleration can be found. This acceleration can then be used in the equation v=at, where v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

3. Can the speed of a block ever be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. Therefore, the speed of a block, or any other object, cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. How does the mass of the block affect its speed according to Newton's Second Law?

According to Newton's Second Law, the mass of an object is inversely proportional to its acceleration. This means that as the mass of the block increases, its acceleration decreases, resulting in a lower speed. Conversely, a lighter block will have a higher acceleration and therefore a higher speed.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the speed of a block?

Yes, apart from the mass and net force, other factors such as friction, air resistance, and the surface on which the block is moving can also affect its speed. These factors can either increase or decrease the acceleration of the block, ultimately affecting its final speed.