Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of Light = 12000 Lunar Orbits/Earth Day ?

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    Hi everybody ! Hope you're doing fine.
    I didn't know where to post this so I decided to do it in the general section.
    I've come across a website which deals with speed of light ...
    It is said that the speed of light equals 12000 Lunar Orbits/Earth Day outside the gravitational field.
    So please if someone could (seriously) check their claimings, I'll be very grateful.
    Here are the links:

Thank you.

edit: This is an islamic website please dont care about that.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I for one am not wasting any time reading this past the quote from the Qu'ran, and the passage trying to link angels with science. I suggest you focus your studies on actual theories that have stood the test of time (like relativity).
  4. Oct 8, 2007 #3
    I just want someone (if possible) to check the calculations.
  5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    Light travels at how many m/s?

The distance of a lunar orbit is approximately 800,000,000 meters (Wikipedia, "lunar orbit").

The number of seconds in a day is up to you to calculate.

The figure you provide is about 2 times too small by my reckoning.
  6. Oct 8, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Loren Booda has provided a start for the math so that you can check it yourself, tdcaupv. And the religious tone to the sites you linked goes against the PR Rules. I'm locking the thread for now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?