Speed of light vs speed of sound

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 10K views
@PeroK fine, light isn't fundamental to the theory we currently use under the name of SR - but I think we agree on that.

And "we can reformulate the theory without it " or "the theory works without it" is pretty much what I mean by "it is not fundamental to the theory"
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption that there exists some observable phenomenon (it doesn't have to be light) that propagates at the same speed relative to all inertial observers and without a medium is sufficient to derive the entire panoply of special relativity: Lorentz transforms, relativity of simultaneity, universal speed limit, relativistic velocity addition, length contraction, time dilation, Minkowski space-time, all that good stuff.

Hi Nugatory,that's a good point. Actually that is kind of why I was originally interested to know whether the fact that light travels at "c" for a moving receiver has been proven experimentally. With emphasis on, "propagates at the same speed relative to all inertial observers and without a medium".

Fizeau:
1) With a medium.
2) Medium is moving relative to observer.
3) Conclusion is that the observer is moving relative to the medium and therefore all inertial observers are taken into account.

De Sitter:
1) Moving source.
2) No medium (space).
3) Moving observer (the Earth), but irrelevant based on the experimental setup?
4) Conclusion is that a moving source has no effect on the speed of light.

Michelson Morley:
1) Source moving together with observer inside what was thought to be a fixed medium.
2) No fixed medium was detected so vacuum was hypothesized.

As I understand it, these three experiments could be used to prove SR. But in these three experiements, you don't explicitly fulfill the conditions in bold (above). We have a moving source in De Sitter, and a moving medium in Fizeau, but I'm not sure if its fair to extrapolate a "moving observer" from Fizeau.regards,
Aaron

EDIT: On the other hand, SR does correctly predict the observed speed in the Fizeau experiment which uses relativistic velocity addition... just confused :(
 
Last edited:
wabbit said:
@PeroK fine, light isn't fundamental to the theory we currently use under the name of SR - but I think we agree on that.

And "we can reformulate the theory without it " or "the theory works without it" is pretty much what I mean by "it is not fundamental to the theory"

@wabbit

I think I see what you're saying now. That's beyond my knowledge of SR.