Speed of progressive waves numerical

In summary, the conversation discusses using waves of frequency 300 Hz to create stationary waves with nodes 1.5m apart. The individual attempts at solving for the speed of the progressive waves were incorrect, but ultimately the correct solution involves determining the wavelength and using the equation v = fλ.
lionel messi.
1. Homework Statement :
progressive waves of frequency 300 hz are superimposed to produce a system of stationary waves in which adjacent nodes are 1.5m apart.calculate speed of progressive waves?

2. The attempt at a solution:
should i use
1)v=f*λ=300m/s
or
2)v=f*(2λ)=900m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
lionel messi. said:
1. Homework Statement :
progressive waves of frequency 300 hz are superimposed to produce a system of stationary waves in which adjacent nodes are 1.5m apart.calculate speed of progressive waves?2. The attempt at a solution:
should i use
1)v=f*λ=300m/s
or
2)v=f*(2λ)=900m/s
Be careful here.

The symbol for wavelength is pretty much always denoted as λ. And the velocity of a wave is always v = λf (where f is the frequency). This relationship wasn't used correctly in 2), given your choice of variable names.

(Not to mention that the math in 1 isn't right either; 300 x 1.5 ≠ 300)

What you should be asking yourself is "how many nodes occur in one wavelength?"

Try plotting cos x on a piece of paper. Don't forget to put the x-axis and y-axis on the plot. From one peak to the next peak of the function (one wavelength), how many times does the function cross the x-axis? :wink:

sorry my bad @ 1.
in 2, I've used 2λ because the distance between 2 consecutive nodes is λ/2..so used L=λ/2 or 2L=λ which results in 900 m/s..

lionel messi. said:
sorry my bad @ 1.
in 2, I've used 2λ because the distance between 2 consecutive nodes is λ/2..so used L=λ/2 or 2L=λ
That's good. :approve:
which results in 900 m/s..
Wait, you've determined a length. Just make sure you distinguish the difference between the wavelenth λ and the and the distance between nodes. Both are distances, but they are different distances.

Once you've determined λ, v = fλ still applies. :smile:

The correct equation to use for calculating the speed of progressive waves is v = f * λ, where v is the speed of the wave, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. In this case, the frequency is given as 300 Hz and the distance between adjacent nodes (which is equal to half the wavelength) is 1.5m. Therefore, the wavelength is 2 * 1.5m = 3m. Plugging in these values, we get v = 300 Hz * 3m = 900m/s. Therefore, the speed of the progressive waves in this system is 900m/s.

1. What is the definition of speed in the context of progressive waves?

The speed of a progressive wave refers to the rate at which the wave travels through a medium. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is the speed of a progressive wave calculated numerically?

The speed of a progressive wave can be calculated numerically using the formula v = λf, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency of the wave.

3. Does the speed of a progressive wave depend on the medium it travels through?

Yes, the speed of a progressive wave can vary depending on the properties of the medium it travels through, such as density and elasticity. For example, sound waves travel faster in solids than in liquids or gases.

4. How does the frequency of a wave affect its speed?

The frequency of a wave is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the frequency increases, the speed of the wave also increases. This relationship is described by the equation v = λf.

5. Can the speed of a progressive wave ever exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the speed of a progressive wave in a medium can never exceed the speed of light, which is approximately 3x10^8 m/s. This is known as the universal speed limit.