Speed or turning point using energy

In summary, the homework statement asks for the potential energy of a particle as it moves to the left of a certain x-point. However, the problem does not explicitly state that the potential energy is due to Earth's gravity, which makes solving for x more difficult. Eventually, using linear interpolation and plotting another line on the graph, the student determines the x-point at which the potential energy is the greatest.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

Please look at the attached screenshot.
This problem is really confusing for me and I can't seem to make much sense out of it.

Homework Equations

Ei = Ef

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see, I did get (a). (The other checkmarks, I guessed — there were only two possible choices for each, anyway.) KEi = KEf + 15, and by plugging in appropriate numbers, I was able to get v = 1.9464 m/s.

But as for (b), (c) and (d), I've no idea how to approach them.

I did try (c), and this time using KEi = KEf + 35, I realized there wouldn't be a valid v, and thus proceeded to determine the turning point. Hence my new equation was KEi = mgh, from which I got h=2.1556 m, but that's vertical. We want horizontal distance, however. So using the ratio (1:35/(mg)) = (x:2.1556), x= 0.4707. However, that is wrong.

As for forces, I don't know how to get started.

Please help — I don't know what to do anymore!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 9.09.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 9.09.59 PM.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:
But as for (b), (c) and (d), I've no idea how to approach them.
Let us work, for the moment, on (b): "What are the magnitude and direction of the force on the particle as it begins to move to the left of x = 4.0 m?"

As the ball moves leftward from x=4.0 m to x=2.0 m it gains some amount of potential energy. You know a distance covered. You know an energy difference. You want to know a force. Is there a quantity or equation that uses those three things?

Likes JessicaHelena
JessicaHelena said:
I did try (c), and this time using KEi = KEf + 35, I realized there wouldn't be a valid v, and thus proceeded to determine the turning point. Hence my new equation was KEi = mgh, from which I got h=2.1556 m, but that's vertical. We want horizontal distance, however. So using the ratio (1:35/(mg)) = (x:2.1556), x= 0.4707. However, that is wrong.
Nowhere does it say that the potential energy is due to gravity. You should approach it from the point of view of conservation of energy.

@jbriggs444 — ah, okay. Now that you mention which distances I could use ... It's (35-20)/(4-2) = 7.5 N. Doing the same way, I can get that (d) is 35N. Thank you for that!

@DrClaude — I was trying to use mgh to my advantage here. the change in potential energy in (c) is 55-20 = 35J, and letting that equal mgh, I can get h by doing 35/(mg). Is this wrong?

JessicaHelena said:
@DrClaude — I was trying to use mgh to my advantage here. the change in potential energy in (c) is 55-20 = 35J, and letting that equal mgh, I can get h by doing 35/(mg). Is this wrong?
Nothing in the problem says that the potential energy is due to gravity, much less due to Earth's gravity.

@DrClaude
okay. So initially there's only KE. At the turning point, however, it's no longer moving so all of it should be potential energy. Am I right? Should I be using F*d = W = E somewhere?

JessicaHelena said:
@DrClaude
okay. So initially there's only KE. At the turning point, however, it's no longer moving so all of it should be potential energy. Am I right? Should I be using F*d = W = E somewhere?
You should be able to do (c) without concerning yourself with force. Concentrate on energy. Yes, you are right that at the turnaround event, its kinetic energy is zero so all of its energy is potential energy.

However, "initially there's only KE" is incorrect. What is the initial PE?

I'm just not sure how I can get a distance just using energy...

JessicaHelena said:
I'm just not sure how I can get a distance just using energy...
You are given the potential energy at x=6. You are given the potential energy at x=5. You know how much potential energy you have at the turnaround.

This is a simple problem of linear interpolation. Can you find an equation for potential energy in terms of x that is valid between x=5 and x=6? Can you solve for the x that gives the potential energy you know?

The particle starts at a known point with some known KE and PE. As it moves to the right the PE changes according to the graph. COE means it's KE will change as it moves.

Try plotting another line on the graph to illustrate it's KE. Does it cross the KE=0 axis? If so where?

Okay, so Ei = (1/2)(0.78)(6.5)^2 + 20 and Ef is equivalent to that (and is a potential energy). We know that a 6cm PE is 55J, and since we see a linear graph, at x cm (the value we're trying to find at c), it would be Ei = Ef = 36.4775 J.

x/(36.4775) = 6/55, so x = 3.97936 m.

In retrospect, the answer doesn't seem right to me... What did I do wrong?

JessicaHelena said:
Okay, so Ei = (1/2)(0.78)(6.5)^2 + 20 and Ef is equivalent to that (and is a potential energy). We know that a 6cm PE is 55J, and since we see a linear graph, at x cm (the value we're trying to find at c), it would be Ei = Ef = 36.4775 J.

x=3.97936 could be correct if the graph of potential energy versus position were linear from x=0 through x=6. But it it not. It is linear from x=5 to x=6.

Edit: Oops. That is not your only error.

JessicaHelena said:

You have to figure out the slope, which is not 6/55.

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
Edit: Oops. That is not your only error.
Indeed. The particle is traveling to the right, so it should reach a value of x greater than where it started :smile:.

DrClaude said:
Indeed. The particle is traveling to the right, so it should reach a value of x greater than where it started :smile:.
It is worse than that. I ran the numbers. The assumption that it stops before x=6 is questionable. @JessicaHelena, can you show your work indicating why the particle cannot get past x=6?

The slope is actually 55/1 so I would have x/(36.4775) = 1/55 and x would be the distance from 5. That gives me x= 0.6632 and so the answer would be 5.6632?

JessicaHelena said:
The slope is actually 55/1 so I would have x/(36.4775) = 1/55 and x would be the distance from 5. That gives me x= 0.6632 and so the answer would be 5.6632?
The slope is not 55/1 either. What is ##U_A##? What is ##U_C##?

Oh right, 55-20 = 35, so 35/1.

Then would it be 6.04221?

JessicaHelena said:
Then would it be 6.04221?
But what happens at x=6?

It reaches the maximum potential energy? Is there a problem I don't see yet?

JessicaHelena said:
It reaches the maximum potential energy?
Right. And what does that mean for the particle's continued motion past that point?

I'm not too sure... the particle will only have KE then.

JessicaHelena said:
I'm not too sure... the particle will only have KE then.
Will the KE be changing?

Reread the question: "If the particle can reach x=7.0 m, what is its speed there"

No, it'll stay constant. So you think I should get the speed?

JessicaHelena said:
No, it'll stay constant. So you think I should get the speed?
In your initial post, you indicated that no such speed was possible. It seems that we have demonstrated differently now. So yes, it is time to go back and see if (c) can be answered that way.

But it doesn't seem to make sense because the answer (the one that says m for meters) is already marked correct...

JessicaHelena said:
But it doesn't seem to make sense because the answer (the one that says m for meters) is already marked correct...
We go for correct answers here. Not answers that we think the answer key thinks are correct.

JessicaHelena said:
Apart from the slope being incorrect, as @jbriggs444 pointed out, you have to be careful about the energy scale. You can work either with the total energy or with the initial state defining the zero of energy. Here, you are mixing both.

jbriggs444 said:
We go for correct answers here. Not answers that we think the answer key thinks are correct.
Have you calculated the result? Because I get an answer that is compatible with the answer key.

Likes jbriggs444
DrClaude said:
Have you calculated the result? Because I get an answer that is compatible with the answer key.
I rechecked and you are correct.

Edit: Thinking back, I'd double-dipped on the 20J of initial potential energy, both adding it to the initial total energy and subtracting it from the potential barrier left to overcome, leaving just enough energy to make it past.

Last edited:

1. How does energy affect an object's speed?

Energy is directly related to an object's speed. The more energy an object has, the faster it will move. This is because energy is what allows an object to overcome resistance and move in a certain direction.

2. What is the relationship between speed and turning point?

Speed and turning point are inversely related. This means that as an object's speed increases, its turning point decreases. In other words, the faster an object is moving, the more difficult it is for it to change direction.

3. How does kinetic energy play a role in turning point?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The amount of kinetic energy an object has is directly related to its speed. In terms of turning point, the more kinetic energy an object has, the more difficult it will be for it to change direction.

4. Can an object have a high speed and a low turning point?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have a high speed and a low turning point. This can occur when an object has a lot of kinetic energy, allowing it to move quickly, but it also has a low mass or a streamlined shape that makes it easier to change direction.

5. How can we use energy to increase an object's speed or turning point?

To increase an object's speed, we can provide it with more energy. This can be done by using a force, such as pushing or pulling, or by allowing the object to fall due to the force of gravity. To increase an object's turning point, we can reduce its kinetic energy by applying a force in the opposite direction of its motion, such as braking or turning a steering wheel.