Speed Pertaining to Circular Motion

In summary, the units for speed in circular motion can be confusing due to the presence of angular velocity in rad/s. However, the rad is not a unit, it is just a label for the measure of an angle in radians. When computing speed along a circular path, using radians as the unit of angle makes the constant of proportionality one. This is why the rad disappears in calculations involving speed in m/s.
Coop
Units for Speed Pertaining to Circular Motion

Hi,

So v=ω*r

Where v = velocity in m/s
ω = angular velocity in rad/s
r = radius in m

But I am confused...the units don't match! What happens to the rad?

m/s = (rad/s)*s

My textbook doesn't explain it, it simply does calculations like (56.5 rad/s)(0.030 m) = 1.7 m/s and the rad disappears. I have a feeling I am missing something obvious o_O. Any help?

Thanks,
Coop

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The measure of an angle θ, in radians, is defined as the ratio of a circular arc subtending that angle θ to the radius of the circle. Angles thus have units of length per length. In other words, angle is a unitless quantity. Using radians makes the constant of proportionality one when computing arc length, or when computing speed along a circular path.

In other words, rads is not a unit. It's just a label.

Cool, thanks a lot guys, I wish my book explained that :p

Hi Coop,

I can understand your confusion about the units for speed in circular motion. Let me explain it for you.

When we talk about circular motion, we are talking about an object moving in a circular path around a fixed point. The speed of this object is constantly changing as it moves along the circular path. However, the magnitude of the speed at any given point can be described by the tangential speed, which is the speed of the object along a tangent to the circular path at that point. This tangential speed is what we typically refer to when we talk about the speed of an object in circular motion.

Now, let's break down the units for tangential speed. As you correctly pointed out, the units for velocity are m/s. However, the units for angular velocity are rad/s. So what exactly is a radian (rad)?

A radian is a unit of measurement for angles, just like degrees. However, instead of being based on a 360 degree circle, a radian is based on the radius of the circle. One radian is equal to the angle subtended by an arc of length equal to the radius of the circle. So, in essence, a radian is a unit of length divided by a unit of length, and therefore it is a dimensionless unit. This is why in your textbook, the rad disappears when doing calculations. It is simply a conversion factor to get from angular velocity to tangential speed.

To summarize, the units for speed in circular motion are m/s, and the units for angular velocity are rad/s. The radian is a dimensionless unit that is used as a conversion factor in these calculations. I hope this clears up your confusion. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This means that the object is constantly changing direction and velocity, but its distance from a fixed point (called the center of rotation) remains the same.

2. What is speed pertaining to circular motion?

Speed pertaining to circular motion refers to the rate of change of distance along the circular path. It is the distance traveled per unit of time, and it can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the circle by the time it takes to complete one full revolution.

3. How is speed different from velocity in circular motion?

While speed is the rate of change of distance, velocity is the rate of change of displacement. In circular motion, the displacement is always changing, which means that the velocity is also constantly changing. This is because velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of motion, while speed only considers the magnitude.

4. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of rotation that is required to keep an object moving along a circular path. It is always directed towards the center and its magnitude is dependent on the speed and radius of the circular motion.

5. How does the speed of an object affect the centripetal force?

The centripetal force required to keep an object moving in circular motion is directly proportional to the square of the object's speed. This means that as the speed increases, the centripetal force must also increase to maintain the circular motion. If the speed is doubled, the centripetal force must be quadrupled.