1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed with a de Broglie wavelength.

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    1. At what speed is an electron's de Broglie wavelength:
    (a) 1.0 pm
    (b) 1.0 nm
    (c) 1.0 [tex]\mu[/tex]m
    (d) 1.0 mm

2. [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\frac{h}{mv}[/tex]

3. I have solved for v, and I plugged in values, it gives me, for a = 4.54 x 10^(27) m/s, the ANSWER is: 2.77 x 10^(8) ms, it's way off, I tried converting energy into Js it also did not work, what am I overlooking?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2
    Is it possible that my teacher is wrong? I think she copied down her answer wrong on my paper...

4. May 6, 2008 #3
    I am not sure on this one, should you perhaps take into account the relativistic speed?
    [tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{m \gamma v}[/tex]

For a I get:
    [tex]v = \frac{h}{m \lambda} = \frac{6.63 \times 10^{-34}}{(9.109 \times 10^{-31})(1\times 10^{-12})} = 7.28 \times 10^8 \text{m/s}[/tex]
    This is higher than the speed of light and can therefore never be correct.

Your answer of 4.54 x 10^27 m/s is ridiculously high. The answer can NEVER be more than the speed of light which is approximately 3.0 x 10^8 m/s.

EDIT
    Using 2.77 x 10^8 as the speed, you get a wavelength of 2.63 x 10^-12 m or 2.63 ps. Something wrong with the question maybe?

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  5. May 7, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

The formula with the relativistic momentum in Nick89's post will give the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?