Sphere/Atom packing - most efficient lattices?

• Thread starter roberto85
  • Start date
In summary, sphere/atom packing involves arranging spheres or atoms in a three-dimensional lattice structure. The most efficient lattices are the close-packed structures, where the spheres are arranged in a hexagonal or cubic pattern to maximize the amount of space occupied by the spheres. This results in a high packing density, making these structures ideal for many applications, such as in crystals and metals. While there are other lattices that can be used, the close-packed structures are considered the most efficient due to their high packing efficiency and stability.
roberto85
From wikipedia i have this quote: The fcc value is the highest theoretically possible value for any lattice, although there are other lattices which also achieve the same value, such as hexagonal close packed and one version of tetrahedral bcc

What is the tetrahedral BCC which they refer to? Anyone know where i can see an image of this packing? Was tempted to post this in the solid state physics section since it does refer to crystal lattices but wasn't sure it was the best place. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pages 9 and 10 of the following link?

http://www.public.asu.edu/~rosebudx/Chap6_208_288.pdf

checkitagain said:
Pages 9 and 10 of the following link?

http://www.public.asu.edu/~rosebudx/Chap6_208_288.pdf

Brilliant, thanyou so much. I expect this pdf will answer more of my questions when i read it more fully.

FAQ: Sphere/Atom packing - most efficient lattices?

1. What is the most efficient lattice structure for packing spheres/atoms?

The most efficient lattice structure for packing spheres/atoms is the face-centered cubic (FCC) lattice. This lattice has a packing density of 74%, meaning that 74% of the available space is occupied by spheres/atoms. This is the highest possible packing density for spheres/atoms.

2. How does the FCC lattice compare to other lattice structures in terms of efficiency?

The FCC lattice is the most efficient lattice structure for packing spheres/atoms. It has a packing density of 74%, which is higher than other commonly used lattices such as the body-centered cubic (68%) and simple cubic (52%) lattices.

3. What is the relationship between lattice structure and packing efficiency?

The lattice structure directly affects the packing efficiency of spheres/atoms. Different lattice structures have different packing densities, with the FCC lattice being the most efficient for packing spheres/atoms.

4. Can the packing efficiency of a lattice be improved?

The packing efficiency of a lattice can be improved by using a different lattice structure. For example, the FCC lattice is more efficient than the body-centered cubic and simple cubic lattices. Additionally, using larger or smaller spheres/atoms can also affect the packing efficiency of a lattice.

5. How is the packing efficiency of a lattice determined?

The packing efficiency of a lattice is determined by the arrangement of spheres/atoms within the lattice. It is calculated by dividing the volume occupied by spheres/atoms by the total volume of the unit cell in the lattice. The higher the packing density, the more efficient the lattice is at packing spheres/atoms.

Back