Sphere in a horizontal plane + Projectile movement

In summary: Well, I found the v... it is:V=\sqrt{\frac{(5sen\alpha-2cos\alpha)(5sen\alpha+2cos\alpha)}{7}}But there is no way to find the alpha...Well, I found the v... it is:V=\sqrt{\frac{(5sen\alpha-2cos\alpha)(5sen\alpha+2cos\alpha)}{7}}But there is no way to find the alpha...In summary, the problem involves a uniform solid sphere rolling down an inclined plane and then moving horizontally after leaving a table. The goal is to find the angle between the inclined plane and the horizontal. The ball has a diameter of 20mm and a
frank1
Hello guys, how are you?

Homework Statement

An uniform solid sphere, that has 20mm of diameter and 8.4g of mass, its release at a inclined plane with 22cm of lenght. The inclined plane 'ends' in a table in which the ball starts to move horizontally. After leaving the table, that has 92cm of height, the ball touchs the floor in a distance of 0.5m from the extremity of the table. What is the module of the angle (alpha) between the inclined plane and the horizontal (in degrees)? Disregard the friction losses, and consider [tex]g=9.8m/s^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]U=mgh[/tex]
[tex]K=((Mv^2)/2))+(Iw^2)/2[/tex]
[tex]y=yo+voyt+(at^2)/2[/tex]
[tex]x=x0+v0xt+(at^2)/2[/tex]
[tex]I(sphere)=(2/5)MR^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first, here is how I see this question:

http://s9.postimage.org/68azq8mzz/physicsforum.jpg

Well, if I had the angle, I think I'd not be confused, but since what he wants is the angle, it makes the algebra, for me, quite tricky...

At the top of the plane it has an energy of U=m*g*h=(8.4*(10^-3))*9.8*(22*(10^-3)*sinAlpha*) and we can equal this to the K=((Mv^2)/2))+(Iw^2)/2.

Here is my first doubt, i need to isolate the v in this equation?

Because to find the angle, I would use the expression 0.5=voCosAlpha*time

But in order to find the 'time' I need to use the y=yo+voyt+(at^2)/2, but I won't have the angle...

Well, the brief of my doubt is: Am I doing the right 'thinking' here?

Thanks in advance, and a note: I tried to use lattex all over the post, but everytime I use it, it creates huge spaces what makes things quite hard... but someday I learn how to use it properly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the ball rolling or sliding? If it rolls, you have a relation between v and omega.
The second part of the problem is horizontal projection. What is the angle then?

ehild

Its rolling...

Well, I tried to do the conservation of energy and I found that [tex]v=\sqrt{3.08*sen\alpha}[/tex]

But then, look the steps I took in order to find the alpha:

y0: initial y.

[tex]y=y0+v0yt+(at^2)/2[/tex]
[tex]t=\frac{-v0y+\sqrt{(voy)^2+2gH}}{g}[/tex]

And then I tried to put that 't' in the the equation that relates to the x movement:

[tex]x=x0+v0xt[/tex]

Well in the end I got this:

[tex]4.9=v0cos\alpha(-v0sen\alpha+\sqrt{(vo^2)(sen\alpha)^2+18})[/tex]

I don't know how to proceed...

It's not rolling since no friction on the incline plane.

well... it says "disregard the friction losses", not disregard the friction...

Then you need μs.

No, you just need to assume it is rolling (as frank1 said) with no sliding. Friction will start a ball rolling but once it is rolling has no effect. Use Conservation of energy, including both horizontal kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy (and you will need the moment of intertia of the ball to find that), at the point at which the ball leaves the table.

Thanks in advance for azizlwl and HallsofIvy.

Halls I didn't got what u said... i did the conservation in the start of the plane to the end of it, found a v and then tried to use the projectile movement equations... but as I showed in some post earlier it end up like a big mess of variables...

The ball rolls along a horizontal segment after leaving the slope. When it leaves the table, it has horizontal initial velocity. And you know that velocity from conservation of energy, applied to the motion along the slope. So what is vyo and vxo?

ehild

What is the difference between a sphere in a horizontal plane and a projectile?

A sphere in a horizontal plane refers to a spherical object moving along a flat surface, while a projectile refers to an object that is launched or thrown through the air with an initial velocity and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force.

How does the horizontal motion of a sphere in a horizontal plane differ from the horizontal motion of a projectile?

The horizontal motion of a sphere in a horizontal plane is constant, while the horizontal motion of a projectile is affected by air resistance and can vary depending on the initial velocity and angle of launch.

What is the equation for calculating the horizontal distance of a projectile?

The equation for calculating the horizontal distance (range) of a projectile is: R = v0 * cosθ * t, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and t is the time.

How does the weight of a sphere in a horizontal plane affect its motion?

The weight of a sphere in a horizontal plane does not affect its motion, as it is moving along a flat surface with no vertical component. However, the weight of a projectile does play a role in its motion as it is affected by gravitational force, which causes it to follow a curved path.