1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphere rolling down an incline

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hollow spherical shell with mass 2.50 kg rolls without slipping down a slope that makes an angle of 32.0 degrees with the horizontal.
    a. Find the magnitude of the acceleration [tex] a_c[/tex] of the center of mass of the spherical shell.
    b. Find the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the spherical shell.
    c. Find the minimum coefficient of friction [tex] \mu [/tex] needed to prevent the spherical shell from slipping as it rolls down the slope.

2. Relevant equations
    For part a.
    Since its pure roll, [tex] a_c = \alpha * R
    \alpha = a_c/R [/tex]
    [tex] \tau = R*Friction = I (moment-of-inertia) * \alpha [/tex]
    [tex]Friction = (I*\alpha)/R = (I*a_c)/R^2 [/tex]
    [tex]Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Friction[/tex]
    [tex]Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Ia_c/R^2[/tex]
    [tex]a_c = (MR^2*g*sin(\theta))/(MR^2+I)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I for sphere =[tex] 2/3 MR^2[/tex]
    so, [tex]a_c = (MR^2*g*sin(\theta))/(MR^2+2/3*MR^2)[/tex]
    MR^2 cancels..
    [tex]a_c = 3/5*g*sin(\theta)[/tex]
    for a_c i got [tex]a_c = 3.12m/s^2[/tex] i think im right unless i made a mathematical error some where.
    and substituting a_c, in [tex]Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Friction[/tex]
    i got Friction = 5.19 N.
    And c,
    this where I'm kind of stuck. I'm assuming since they are asking for minimum [tex]\mu[/tex] Friction is 0 in [tex] Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Friction [\tex]
    [tex]a_c = gsin(\theta) [/tex].
    [tex]Friction = (I*\alpha)/R = (I*a_c)/R^2 [/tex], and
    [tex] Friction = \mu*mg*sin(\theta) [/tex]
    [tex] /mu= ((I*a_c)/R^2)/mg*sin(\theta)
    idk if I'm right in assuming Friction is 0 in one part and not in other.. Any hints/guides and help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi dk214,

I don't think this is right; you've already found the force of friction. Now they want the minimum [itex]\mu[/itex] that can supply that force; in other words they want the coefficient for which that frictional force is a maximum. What does that give?

4. May 5, 2008 #3
    I dont know if I'm understanding the question right. Are they just asking for the [tex] \mu [/tex] for the friction I found.?
    which would just be Friction/Normal
    [tex] \mu = 5.12/Mgcos(\theta) [/tex]
    [tex] \mu = .246[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?