Spherical near to far field transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of transforming nearfield pattern data for an antenna to obtain the farfield pattern. The individual has a degree in mathematics but is seeking assistance due to being out of practice. They mention searching for solutions online but have not found anything helpful for spherical measurements. They also mention that planar measurements use a 2D Fourier transform, but spherical coordinates add complexity. They then ask for any thoughts or ideas on the matter.
Readro
Hi all,

Suppose I have measured an antenna's nearfield pattern and have a set of data f(theta, phi), where theta and phi are spherical coordinates, at a distance r from the antenna (we'll assume that the antenna is a point source to make it easier). How would I go about transforming this data to get the antenna's farfield pattern? I've tried searching the net for this but haven't found anything useful for spherical measurements. I understand that planar measurements use a 2D Fourier transform but the spherical coordinates complicate things a bit.

FYI, I have a degree in mathematics but it's been a while now so I might be a little rusty. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate to bump a post, but does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

1. What is spherical near to far field transformation?

Spherical near to far field transformation, also known as NF transformation, is a mathematical technique used to convert near-field measurements to far-field measurements. This is useful in antenna testing and electromagnetic compatibility testing.

2. How does spherical near to far field transformation work?

The transformation uses a complex mathematical algorithm to convert the measured near-field data into far-field data. It takes into account the distance between the near-field and far-field regions, as well as the angular coverage of the near-field measurements.

3. What are the benefits of using spherical near to far field transformation?

By using this transformation, engineers can accurately predict the radiation pattern and performance of an antenna in the far-field region without having to perform time-consuming far-field measurements. This saves both time and resources in the testing process.

4. Are there any limitations to using spherical near to far field transformation?

One limitation is that the transformation assumes the antenna under test is operating in a free-space environment. If the antenna is placed in a non-free-space environment, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, the transformation is most accurate when the near-field measurements are taken over a complete sphere, which may not always be possible.

5. How can one ensure the accuracy of spherical near to far field transformation results?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to follow proper measurement techniques when taking the near-field measurements. This includes minimizing reflections and interference, as well as ensuring the antenna is in a stable and isolated position. It is also recommended to compare the transformed results with actual far-field measurements for validation.