1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherically symmetric charge density given electric potential

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    1. A spherically symmetric charge distribution results in an electric potential of the form
    pt1.jpg

What is the charge distribution?

Hint: consider the difference in electric field between two values of r
    pt2.jpg

Show that the answer is of the form
    pt3.jpg

3. I have attempted several solutions but haven't gotten anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    Did you at least calculate the electric field?

E = - ∇ V where the gradient is in spherical coordinates.

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    I calculated E using the first equation. E=dV/dr

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    Correction E=-dv/dr <-- I am unsure to just have dr=dr or dr = (the derivative of everything in the 1st equations brackets[] ) - I decided to just have it equal dr

I then plugged the E value into the difference equation with r = r, and r' = (r+dr). I took the difference and set it equal to the right side of the same equation, and then solved for p(r). I hoped this would give me something in the form of charge density noted. However, I ended up with a large number of variables which would not simplify to this form.

Any Insights?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  6. Oct 13, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have the right approach. You can neglect the higher-order terms. Keep only the terms proportional to dr.

7. Oct 13, 2012 #6
    You can have r'=0 and just integrate the right side of the equation from 0 to r. You now have Gauss' Law, and you can just solve algebraically for [itex]\rho[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook