1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphericial Capacitance w/Dielectrics

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    A spherical capacitor is made of two insulating spherical shells with different dielectric strengths, k1 and k2, situated between two spherical metallic shells and separated by a vacuum gap. Calculate the capacitance of this system.

[​IMG]

Total C = Q(free) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]V where [tex]\Lambda[/tex]V is the varied potential between the two metal shells.

[tex]\Lambda[/tex]V = [tex]\int^{a}_{d}[/tex]E(r)dr = - [tex]\int^{a}_{b}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (1/k1)*(Qfree / r^2) * dr] - [tex]\int^{b}_{c}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (Qfree / r^2) * dr] - [tex]\int^{c}_{d}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (1/k2) * (Qfree / r^2) * dr]

Q free will be negated in the final equation, since C = Q/V and V includes Q in its numerator (hope that makes sense). So after integrating V through each of the mediums, the two dielectrics and the vacuum, I get the sum :

Ctotal = = Ke[C(dielectric 1) + C(vacuum) + C(dielectric 2) = Ke[(1/k1)*(1/a - 1/b) + (1/b - 1/c) + (1/k2)*(1/c - 1/d)]

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

above looks good.

how did you get this part? stick to what you were doing above... get delta V... then take Q/delta V... don't take any shortcuts...

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    I did this next...

delV = - (Qfree/(4*pi*Eps)) [ [tex]\int^{a}_{b}[/tex] (dr/(k1*r^2)) + [tex]\int^{b}_{c}[/tex] (dr/r^2) + [tex]\int^{c}_{d}[/tex] (dr/(k2*r^2))

The general form of the solution for int(dr/r^2) is -(1/r). This lets the pre-existing negative cancel out, and I just have to substitute to get the expression I have above... I've got it written down, just didn't want to type it all out. :)

Also, the solution I came up with should be equal to 1/Ctot, not just Ctot. I think that's right...

5. Oct 31, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes, exactly that was 1/Ctot. everything looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?