Sphericial Capacitance w/Dielectrics

• Thread starter mitleid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of capacitance for a spherical capacitor made of two insulating spherical shells with different dielectric strengths separated by a vacuum gap. The formula used was Ctotal = Ke[(1/k1)*(1/a - 1/b) + (1/b - 1/c) + (1/k2)*(1/c - 1/d)], with delta V calculated by integrating the potential through each medium. The final solution was 1/Ctot, not just Ctot.
mitleid
A spherical capacitor is made of two insulating spherical shells with different dielectric strengths, k1 and k2, situated between two spherical metallic shells and separated by a vacuum gap. Calculate the capacitance of this system.

graph2.jpg

Total C = Q(free) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]V where [tex]\Lambda[/tex]V is the varied potential between the two metal shells.

[tex]\Lambda[/tex]V = [tex]\int^{a}_{d}[/tex]E(r)dr = - [tex]\int^{a}_{b}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (1/k1)*(Qfree / r^2) * dr] - [tex]\int^{b}_{c}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (Qfree / r^2) * dr] - [tex]\int^{c}_{d}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (1/k2) * (Qfree / r^2) * dr]

Q free will be negated in the final equation, since C = Q/V and V includes Q in its numerator (hope that makes sense). So after integrating V through each of the mediums, the two dielectrics and the vacuum, I get the sum :

Ctotal = = Ke[C(dielectric 1) + C(vacuum) + C(dielectric 2) = Ke[(1/k1)*(1/a - 1/b) + (1/b - 1/c) + (1/k2)*(1/c - 1/d)]

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
mitleid said:
A spherical capacitor is made of two insulating spherical shells with different dielectric strengths, k1 and k2, situated between two spherical metallic shells and separated by a vacuum gap. Calculate the capacitance of this system.

graph2.jpg

Total C = Q(free) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]V where [tex]\Lambda[/tex]V is the varied potential between the two metal shells.

[tex]\Lambda[/tex]V = [tex]\int^{a}_{d}[/tex]E(r)dr = - [tex]\int^{a}_{b}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (1/k1)*(Qfree / r^2) * dr] - [tex]\int^{b}_{c}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (Qfree / r^2) * dr] - [tex]\int^{c}_{d}[/tex][(1/4*pi*Eps) * (1/k2) * (Qfree / r^2) * dr]

Q free will be negated in the final equation, since C = Q/V and V includes Q in its numerator (hope that makes sense). So after integrating V through each of the mediums, the two dielectrics and the vacuum, I get the sum :

above looks good.

Ctotal = = Ke[C(dielectric 1) + C(vacuum) + C(dielectric 2) = Ke[(1/k1)*(1/a - 1/b) + (1/b - 1/c) + (1/k2)*(1/c - 1/d)]

Is this correct?

how did you get this part? stick to what you were doing above... get delta V... then take Q/delta V... don't take any shortcuts...

I did this next...

delV = - (Qfree/(4*pi*Eps)) [ [tex]\int^{a}_{b}[/tex] (dr/(k1*r^2)) + [tex]\int^{b}_{c}[/tex] (dr/r^2) + [tex]\int^{c}_{d}[/tex] (dr/(k2*r^2))

The general form of the solution for int(dr/r^2) is -(1/r). This let's the pre-existing negative cancel out, and I just have to substitute to get the expression I have above... I've got it written down, just didn't want to type it all out. :)

Also, the solution I came up with should be equal to 1/Ctot, not just Ctot. I think that's right...

mitleid said:
I did this next...

delV = - (Qfree/(4*pi*Eps)) [ [tex]\int^{a}_{b}[/tex] (dr/(k1*r^2)) + [tex]\int^{b}_{c}[/tex] (dr/r^2) + [tex]\int^{c}_{d}[/tex] (dr/(k2*r^2))

The general form of the solution for int(dr/r^2) is -(1/r). This let's the pre-existing negative cancel out, and I just have to substitute to get the expression I have above... I've got it written down, just didn't want to type it all out. :)

Also, the solution I came up with should be equal to 1/Ctot, not just Ctot. I think that's right...

Yes, exactly that was 1/Ctot. everything looks good.

1. What is spherical capacitance?

Spherical capacitance is a measure of the ability of a spherical object to store electrical charge. It is defined as the ratio of the charge stored on the object to the potential difference between the object and its surroundings.

2. What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that can be placed between the two conductive plates of a capacitor. It is used to increase the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates.

3. How does a dielectric material affect spherical capacitance?

A dielectric material increases the capacitance of a spherical capacitor by reducing the electric field between the two plates. This is because the dielectric material has a higher permittivity than air, which allows it to store more charge per unit area.

4. What is the formula for calculating spherical capacitance with dielectrics?

The formula for calculating spherical capacitance with dielectrics is C = 4πε0εrr, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the dielectric material, and r is the radius of the spherical capacitor.

5. How do you choose the appropriate dielectric material for a spherical capacitor?

The appropriate dielectric material for a spherical capacitor depends on the desired capacitance and the operating conditions of the capacitor. Factors such as temperature, voltage, and frequency should be considered when selecting a dielectric material. Additionally, dielectric materials with higher relative permittivity values will result in a higher capacitance, but may also have other properties that make them unsuitable for certain applications. It is important to carefully evaluate the requirements and characteristics of the capacitor before selecting a dielectric material.