1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin Angular Momentum and Operators

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Attached
    question.JPG

2. Relevant equations

##J_+|j,m⟩ = ћ\sqrt{j(j+1)-m(m+1)} |j,m+1⟩##
    ##J_-|j,m⟩ = ћ\sqrt{j(j+1)-m(m-1)} |j,m-1⟩##
    ##J_z|j,m⟩ = mћ |j,m⟩##
    ##J^2|j,m⟩ = ћ^2j(j+1) |j,m⟩##

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi there,

For part a, the expression we're looking for is given, but I'm unsure as to how to derive it from the equation for ##J_+## given above. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2016 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try applying the expression you're given for [itex]J_+[/itex] in part a) to each of the eigenstates of [itex]J_z[/itex] individually.

4. Jan 7, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can use the completeness relation for the space in question, the space of angular momentum ##j=3/2##, which is ##\sum_m |m\rangle \langle m| = \mathbf{1}## with ##m=-3/2,-1/2,1/2,3/2##. Since this relation is equal to an identity operator, you can place it wherever and how many times you want around an operator without altering the operator itself.

5. Jan 7, 2016 #4

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is unnecessary. Simply apply [itex]J_+[/itex] to the [itex]J_z[/itex] eigenstates and use the fact that the eigenstates are orthogonal (i.e., [itex]\langle m | m' \rangle = \delta_{mm'}[/itex]).

6. Jan 8, 2016 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's just another and, in my opinion, more elegant way of doing the problem.

7. Jan 8, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can also look at this from a more general Linear Algebra point of view. In general, if you have a basis ##(e_i)## then ##|e_i> <e_j|## is an operator that picks out the ##j^{th}## component of a vector (##v_j##) and outputs a vector ##v_j e_i##. And, in fact, the set of all such operators is a basis for your operator space.

You can, therefore, express any operator as a linear combination of these ##|e_i> <e_j|## operators. If you think about what the raising and lowering opertors do, you may see that they are well suited to being expressed in this basis. In this case, the ##(e_i)## are the states with ##m = \pm \frac{1}{2}, \pm \frac{3}{2}##

8. Jan 8, 2016 #7

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok I'm thoroughly confused. How the heck do you solve part a of this problem using the completeness relation? I guess it's a little too elegant for me.

9. Jan 8, 2016 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The simplest way is to start with TeetWhitener's advice. First thing first: do you know how to apply the operator given in the answer to each of the ##J_z## states? For example, what do you get if you apply it to ##|1/2\rangle ## ?

10. Jan 8, 2016 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think TeethWhitener knows how he would solve it using his own advice. ;)

11. Jan 8, 2016 #10

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

AH! My bad! Hehehe...

12. Jan 8, 2016 #11

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fo any operator A, you may write
    ## A = \sum_{n,m} |n\rangle\langle n| A |m\rangle \langle m| ##
    Knowing the effect of the operator on each basis state then yields the result.

13. Jan 8, 2016 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##J_+ = J_+ \cdot \mathbb{1}## where ##\mathbb{1}## is the identity operator. Use blue_leaf's suggestion for the identity operator.

14. Jan 16, 2016 #13
    Many thanks for all the replies. Hearing of both methods was very helpful.

Just on a final note, for the last part of the question, part d), I'm applying the expression given for ##J_+## to ##|ψ⟩## as it's given in d). However 'm ending up with:

##J_+|ψ⟩= \frac{h}{2\sqrt{2}} (\sqrt{3}|3/2⟩ - 2|1/2⟩ - 3|-1/2⟩ ) ##

Not sure if I'm approaching the question in the right way.

15. Jan 16, 2016 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##\hat{J}_x##, not ##\hat{J}_+##.

16. Jan 16, 2016 #15
    D'oh!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted