1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin Matrices for Multiple Particles

1. Jul 16, 2015 #1
    I have two questions, but the second is only worth asking if the answer to the first is yes:
    Are the spin matrices for three particles, with the same spin,
    σ ⊗ II,
    I ⊗ σ ⊗ I
    and
    II ⊗ σ
    for particles 1, 2 and 3 respectively, where σ is the spin matrix for a single one of the particles?

I know that the spin matrices for two particles are
    σ ⊗ I and
    I ⊗ σ
    for particles 1 and 2 respectively, so I am guessing that the same is the case for when there are more than two particles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is.

4. Jul 16, 2015 #3
    Nice - thanks for the quick answer ;)

What I was wanting to ask was whether the following is a way to generalise the spin matrices for each of N particles:

upload_2015-7-13_18-32-25-png.85924.png

Where w is the direction, a is the matrix/particle number, N is the number of particles and dim(V) = (2s + 1)^N, where s is the spin of each particle (1/2 for spin 1/2, 1 for spin 1 etc.).

5. Jul 16, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to check again what the notations used in that expression mean. For instance, does the first ##I_{dim(V)}## means that it is actually a series of (Kronecker) product of ##a-1## individual identity matrices? If yes, then ##dim(V) = 2s+1##, that is, the dimension of the spin space corresponding to a single particle.
    I think that is indeed the case there since the dimensions of the first and second ##I## are denoted identically.

6. Jul 16, 2015 #5
    Ah yes, I made a mistake there - yeh, the subscript of the identity matrices should be just 2s+1, and the a-1 and N-a under the brackets are the number of Kronecker/tensor products to have - for example, for 8 spin 1 particles, the 3rd matrix would be:

upload_2015-7-17_0-13-13.png

...which is a rather large matrix...

7. Jul 19, 2015 #6
    There is a problem though:

If I add together the three spin matrices (z-direction) for 3 spin 1/2 particles, I get:
    upload_2015-7-19_13-11-35.png

But surely it should be:
    upload_2015-7-19_13-12-31.png

8. Jul 19, 2015 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't really matter as long as you remember, which eigenvector (when you have to calculate it) belongs to which eigenvalue. For example the eigenvector ##(0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0)^T## belongs to eigenvalue ##-\hbar## in the upper matrix, but belongs to ##\hbar## in the lower one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted