Spinning top undergoing nutation

• Thread starter techmologist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spinning
In summary, the question is whether the spin rate of a symmetric top, undergoing precession and nutation under the torque of gravity, varies with time or remains constant. It is observed that as the top nutates, the spin rate changes periodically in order to conserve energy. However, this phenomenon is still not fully understood and some consider the spin rate to be an "intrinsic" property of the top. Further research and explanations beyond solving the equations of motion may shed light on this periodic spin rate.
techmologist
Suppose you have a symmetric top precessing and nutating under the torque due to gravity. My question is this: does the spin rate of the top (the rate at which it spins on its axis of symmetry) vary with time or is it constant? I am assuming the 'foot' of the top is fixed and that the motion about this fixed point is frictionless.

Physics news on Phys.org
As the top nutates, The spin rate changes periodically to conserve energy.

clem said:
As the top nutates, The spin rate changes periodically to conserve energy.

Thanks for the reply, clem. I have been trying to understand the motion of a heavy top by freshman-level methods, namely, requiring that all the torques on individual mass elements of the top add up to the torque of gravity. This technique works well for the case of torque-free precession, where you can guess what the motion looks like. In that case the spin rate is constant, and I just assumed it was for a heavy top, too. I had also assumed the faster precession rate at the low point in the nutation cycle was enough gain in kinetic energy to balance the loss of potential energy. For some reason, I can't help but think of the spin rate as a kind of "intrinsic" property of the top. After all, it was determined when you twisted it with your thumb and forefinger, or pulled the string in the case of a gyroscope. How does the top "know" to speed up and slow down its spinning as it bobs up and down? I know that's a silly question, but I still find this periodic spin rate kinda spooky. Do you know of any book or website that gives an explanation of this beyond just solving the equations of motion?

What is a spinning top undergoing nutation?

A spinning top undergoing nutation is a phenomenon in which a spinning top slightly tilts or wobbles from its original axis of rotation. This is due to the torque forces acting on the top as it spins, causing it to precess around a different axis.

What causes nutation in a spinning top?

Nutation in a spinning top is caused by torque forces acting on the top as it spins. These forces can be caused by factors such as the distribution of mass in the top, air resistance, and the surface on which it is spinning.

How is nutation different from precession?

Nutation and precession are two related but distinct phenomena. Nutation refers to the slight tilting or wobbling of a spinning top from its original axis of rotation, while precession refers to the overall motion of the top as it rotates around a different axis. Precession can also be caused by nutation.

Can nutation be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, nutation can be controlled or manipulated by changing the factors that affect the torque forces acting on the spinning top. For example, changing the weight distribution or the surface on which the top is spinning can alter the nutation behavior of the top.

What are some real-life applications of nutation in spinning tops?

Nutation in spinning tops has been studied and applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and toy design. It is also used in gyroscopes and other mechanical devices where precise control of motion is needed. In addition, studying nutation in spinning tops can help us better understand the dynamics of rotating objects in general.