Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spiral motion and the centripetal force

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    Major brainfart here.

Consider the spiral motion of a particle such that the distance from the origin to the particle is

r(t) = e^t

with a constant angular velocity.

Now since the particle rotating with a constant angular velocity, I would think that the net force on the particle would have to be an inward centripetal force in the radial direction.

However, there must also be a net outward force, in the radial direction, to account for the accelerating distance between the origin and the particle.

Obviously this can't be right, but I can't pin down where I'm going wrong.

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi mathman44! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

the radial acceleration is r'' - θ'2r :wink:

(and can you prove that? o:))

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    Isn't r'' the radial acceleration? Did you mean that r'' = -w^2 * r ?

And isn't this just equivalent to saying that the net force is equal to the centripetal force?

ps for a polar system I'm getting

mrw^2 - dV/dr = mr''

as the force equation using a simple lagrangian.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  5. May 25, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. Consider a particle on a straight course missing the origin. It has an angular velocity around the origin, and if its speed changes appropriately it may even have a constant angular velocity for while (but will have to shoot off to infinity in a finite time).
    It's not at all clear that it would be a net outward or net inward. That will depend on the details of r(t).
    Radial acceleration means the component of the acceleration which is directed towards/away from the origin (not, acceleration in the value of the radius). As Tiny Tim says, this is given by r'' - θ'2r. E.g. in circular motion about the origin, r'' = 0, but the particle will have acceleration towards the origin.
    In your scenario, θ' is constant, and r'' = r. Note that if instead you had
    r(t) = ewt, where θ' = w
    then the radial acceleration would have been 0.

6. May 25, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

acceleration in polar coordinates :wink:

$$ \boldsymbol{a}\ =\ (\ddot{r}-r\dot{\theta}^2)\hat{\boldsymbol{r}}\ +\ (r\ddot{\theta}+2\dot{r}\dot{\theta})
    \hat{\boldsymbol{\theta}} $$

(the "hats" are unit vectors)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook