Centripetal Force and Pascal's Principle

In summary, centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while Pascal's principle states that pressure applied to a fluid in a closed container is transmitted equally throughout the entire container. These principles are important in understanding the mechanics of circular motion and the behavior of fluids under pressure. Centripetal force is crucial in many real-world scenarios, such as the rotation of planets around the sun and the operation of amusement park rides. Pascal's principle has numerous applications, including hydraulic systems used in machinery and braking systems in vehicles. Both concepts play a significant role in our understanding of the physical world and are essential in various fields of science and engineering.
Timtam
I am trying to reconcile what I understand about Pascals Law in Fluid Statics and Centripetal Force in Fluid Dynamics

In fluid statics pressure always acts normal to the wall . The explanation I have seen

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/fluid-mechanics-and-perpendicular-force.733437/

Is that while a momentum change with the wall of a container/surface has both a tangential and perpendicular components, as a static fluid has completely random motion over many interactions the tangential components of the forces statistically cancel out leaving only the perpendicular components as a net force

In fluid dynamics under a curved flow the change of the organised momentum/ velocity vector of a fluid results in an inwards force radially towards the centre - Centripetal Force

I could be wrong but to me this appears that this force is again purely perpendicular to the surface but under very different conditions - Under fluid dynamics the tangential components are no longer statistically equal so the net forces do not cancel out but yet we are left with the same perpendicular force situation.

As a further example - if we were to reverse the direction flow (at same velocity/ mass flo rate ) we would still experience the same centripetal force in the same radial direction. It appears the original direction of the momentum is irrelevant to the action of this force.

Could someone please explain how this could be ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Timtam said:
Under fluid dynamics the tangential components are no longer statistically equal
If the tangential velocity is constant the tangential components must cancel to zero, just like in the static case. To have a constant flow under resistance you need a pressure gradient along the flow.

A.T. said:
If the tangential velocity is constant the tangential components must cancel to zero, just like in the static case. To have a constant flow under resistance you need a pressure gradient along the flow.

Thanks For your reply . Ok I get this must be the case otherwise the fluid would be experiencing an acceleration - the force acting on it must only be perpendicular as that leaves a change in vector not magnitude of the velocity.
However
I am just unsure what is actually causing the tangential components to cancel ? What momentum is 'coming' the other way to cancel the tangents as in the static case.
You mention flow under resistance do you mean viscosity ? could we consider this under ideal conditions

Timtam said:
You mention flow under resistance do you mean viscosity ?
Or friction with the wall itself.

A.T. said:
Or friction with the wall itself.

Thanks AT I think that was a very good clue, I managed to find a few articles that mention that the no slip condition relationship to Momentum balance

The summary of the video is that the fluid molecule 'sticks' to the solid wall long enough to achieve thermal equilibrium . Irrelevant of the momentum it possesses when it arrived (which has been absorbed as heat) When it leaves its Momentum is completely 'funded' by the random degrees of freedom nature of heat . As such all tangential components will cancel out

A rather more verbose explanation is below - https://www.researchgate.net/post/Can_someone_explain_what_exactly_no_slip_condition_or_slip_condition_means_in_terms_of_momentum_transfer_of_the_molecules

with what I think are a few key phrases highlighted

"On the microscopic level the wall consists of billions of billions of interacting, vibrating atoms; their average speed is counted in hundreds of meters per second, and their vibration is pretty chaotic, though centred about some positions in space: that's why the walls appear to be "solid". Liquids and gases also consist of billions of billions of molecules whose average speed is roughly the same as that of the vibrating wall atoms (hundreds of meters per second), but their average position is free to change. That's why than can "flow".
Thus, if a single fluid molecule hits the wall, it can be "reflected" in essentially any direction. What really matters is the AVERAGE fluid particle velocity near the wall. The collisions are always ellastic in that they conserve the total energy of the colliding molecules; however, this does not preclude energy transfer from one particle to the other. Sometimes the energy comes from the wall molecules, sometimes toward the wall molecules. The same concerns the momentum. The wall molecules can then immediatelly transmit this energy/momentum to other molecules that make up the wall. The point is that the mean position of each wall molecule is fixed in space. Hence, the mean position of the fluid particles near the wall should be also very close to zero

Are these explanations a good summary as to how ordered momentum collision containing an unbalanced tangential component results in a purely perpendicular force with all tangential components canceled ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Timtam said:
I am trying to reconcile what I understand about Pascals Law in Fluid Statics and Centripetal Force in Fluid Dynamics

In fluid statics pressure always acts normal to the wall . The explanation I have seen

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/fluid-mechanics-and-perpendicular-force.733437/

Is that while a momentum change with the wall of a container/surface has both a tangential and perpendicular components, as a static fluid has completely random motion over many interactions the tangential components of the forces statistically cancel out leaving only the perpendicular components as a net force
Yes.
In fluid dynamics under a curved flow the change of the organised momentum/ velocity vector of a fluid results in an inwards force radially towards the centre - Centripetal Force

I could be wrong but to me this appears that this force is again purely perpendicular to the surface but under very different conditions - Under fluid dynamics the tangential components are no longer statistically equal so the net forces do not cancel out but yet we are left with the same perpendicular force situation.

As a further example - if we were to reverse the direction flow (at same velocity/ mass flo rate ) we would still experience the same centripetal force in the same radial direction. It appears the original direction of the momentum is irrelevant to the action of this force.

Could someone please explain how this could be ?
Can you give a specific example of the type of situation you are asking about here? That would be very helpful.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular motion and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

How is centripetal force related to Newton's laws of motion?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by a net external force. Centripetal force is the net external force that acts on an object to change its direction and keep it moving in a circular path, in accordance with Newton's second law of motion.

What is Pascal's principle?

Pascal's principle states that a change in pressure applied to an enclosed fluid will be transmitted equally to all parts of the fluid. This principle is the basis for hydraulic systems, where a small force applied to a small area can result in a larger force being exerted on a larger area.

How are centripetal force and Pascal's principle related?

Centripetal force and Pascal's principle are related in that both involve the transmission of force through a fluid. In centripetal force, the force is transmitted through the fluid inside a rotating object, while in Pascal's principle, the force is transmitted through an enclosed fluid in a hydraulic system.

What are some real-life applications of centripetal force and Pascal's principle?

Centripetal force and Pascal's principle have numerous applications in our daily lives. Some examples include amusement park rides, such as roller coasters and carousels, which rely on centripetal force to keep passengers safely in their seats. Pascal's principle is utilized in hydraulic systems, such as car brakes and construction equipment, where a small force can be used to generate a larger force.