1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak Calculus Summation problem

1. May 6, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about not using the homework template
    Hi, I've enclosed my problem and attempt at solution below. I had problems with the latex so I photographed a picture of my work. The first top half is my attempt at the solution and the bottom is the solution that Spivak provides.

I dont understand how he reached his solution and I dont understand how to manipulate these equations "1+....+n"

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2
    Do you understand how he got from the first to the second line?

4. May 6, 2015 #3
    for 1+.....+n, let's take n=11 as an example: If you think of 1+2+3+....+11, that is = (11+1) + (10+2) + (9+3) + ..... + (6+6) and these terms are all 12 or (n+1). Now, how many these (n+1) terms do you get?

5. May 6, 2015 #4
    Once you have figured that out, then look at Spivak's first line: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + ....+ (2n - 1)
    What can you add to this to make it look like 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + .......+ (2n - 1) + 2n which you know how to solve?

6. May 7, 2015 #5
    You get n amount of n+1? Im sorry I still dont get it

7. May 7, 2015 #6
    I add even numbers

8. May 7, 2015 #7
    Ok maybe I should have explained a bit more what I mean and taken n to be an even number. So imagine you have n numbers where n is even, say n = 10 and you're going to add them all up together. So they're all lined up one after the next 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. Now you could fold this line (or wrap it) so that the 10 is under the 1, the 9 is under the 2, the 8 is under the 3 etc, like:
    1 2 3 4 5
    10 9 8 7 6

The point of pairing them this way is because as go to the right in the top line you go +1 whereas as you go to the right in the bottom line you go -1 so that the pairs always add to 11. So now how many pairs of 11 do you get?

9. May 7, 2015 #8
    Yes precisely you add even numbers to them and now you sum 1+2+3+...+2n and because you added all those even numbers you have to subtract them also (so that you have effectively added 0 to your equation). How do you think Spivak's term -2(1+2+...+n) is related to what I just said?
    Does it make sense?

10. May 7, 2015 #9
    What problem did you have ?

11. May 7, 2015 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't do too much of the solution for the OP.

12. May 7, 2015 #11
    Duly noted.

13. May 8, 2015 #12
    So then I have 1+2+3+4+5+(2n-1)+2n

But when I subtract the sum of 2n which is 2(1+...+n)
    the second line is 1+2+3+4+5+2n-2(1+...+n), the odd number (2n-1) somehow disappeared and the number im supposed to add to get zero -2(1+...+n) is still there

I dont understand

14. May 8, 2015 #13

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "the sum of 2n" ?

15. May 8, 2015 #14
    I put what I meant, which is 2(1+.....+n)

16. May 8, 2015 #15

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rather than calling this " the sum of 2n " it's much clearer to say something like, " the sum of all even integers from 2 through 2n. "

In Latex that's ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{n}2i\ ## .

And you have correctly stated that gives ##\displaystyle\ 2\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n}i\right)\ ##, so that is ##\displaystyle\ 2\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right) ## .

What is the big sum, 1+2+3+4+5+(2n-1)+2n, i.e. ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{2n}i\ \ ? ##

17. May 9, 2015 #16
    I can't figure this out, please help. I need a worked example I can refer to

18. May 9, 2015 #17

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

upload_2015-5-9_23-12-32.png

If you understand the results shown above, I think we can get the correct result using a alternative method to Spivak's.

Now consider the sum of the first n odd natural numbers, ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{n}(2i-1)\ ##.

Split that up into ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{n}(2i)-\sum_{i=1}^{n}(1)\\ ##

What do those last two sums give?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted