Spivak's calculus: is my proof wrong?

In summary, if a and b are positive numbers and a^2 < b^2, then a < b. This is based on the Trichotomy Law and the properties of positive numbers, including the fact that if the product of two positive numbers is positive, then both numbers must be positive.
johnnyies

Homework Statement

If a, b > 0, and a2 < b2, then a < b.

Homework Equations

P is the collection of all positive numbers, n > 0

(P10) Trichotomy law: For every number a, one and only one of the following holds:
(i) a = 0
(ii) a is in the collection P
(iii) -a is in the collection P

(P11) If a and b are in P, then a + b are in P
(P12) If a and b are in P, then a x b is in P.

The Attempt at a Solution

If a2 < b2, then 0 < b2 - a2, hence b2 - a2 is in the collection P

0 < b2 - a2 which is the same as 0 < (b - a)(b + a)

by (P12), (b - a) and (b + a) are both in P,

if (b - a) is in P, this means b - a > 0, hence, b > a

this isn't the answer in the book, I will post that after dinner, but my proof seems sound but at the same time I can't tell if it's correct or wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnnyies said:
by (P12), (b - a) and (b + a) are both in P,
That's not P12. The statement you used is
If a x b is in P, then a and b are in P​
which is the converse of P12, and is only true half the time.

I got it. If ab is in P then it's possible a and b are not in P, since it can be said: a < 0, b < 0 ,ab > 0 (product of two negatives). I missed that. Thanks.

But can I say that if (b-a)(b+a) > 0, either (b-a) and (b+a) have to be positive, or either negative, and, as I know by hypothesis that (b+a) >= 0, (b-a) must be in P, hence (b-a) > 0, so b > a?

carlosbgois said:
But can I say that if (b-a)(b+a) > 0, either (b-a) and (b+a) have to be positive, or either negative

You will need to prove this...
Otherwise it's correct.

and, as I know by hypothesis that (b+a) >= 0, (b-a) must be in P, hence (b-a) > 0, so b > a?

Sure, but that is the easy part hehe. Thanks!

1. What is Spivak's calculus?

Spivak's calculus, also known as the "calculus of manifolds," is a mathematical framework for studying functions of several variables. It is based on the concepts of differential and integral calculus, but with a focus on abstract, geometric structures known as manifolds.

2. Why is Spivak's calculus important?

Spivak's calculus is important because it provides a rigorous and elegant way of dealing with functions of several variables, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and science. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals.

3. Is Spivak's calculus difficult to learn?

Spivak's calculus can be challenging to learn, especially for those who are new to the concepts of differential and integral calculus. However, with dedication and practice, it is a highly rewarding and valuable subject to study.

4. How can I know if my proof in Spivak's calculus is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your proof in Spivak's calculus, it is important to carefully follow the logical steps and assumptions made in the proof. It is also helpful to check your work with others and seek feedback from experienced mathematicians or professors.

5. What are some practical applications of Spivak's calculus?

Spivak's calculus has numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as optimization, motion, and growth. It is also essential for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts and theories.