Spreading points evenly in plane

In summary, the question is to find the smallest possible ratio between the maximum and minimum distance among six points in a plane. The best known ratio is \sqrt{3}, achieved with an equilateral triangle. However, it is not known whether this is a tight bound. For four points, the best known ratio is \sqrt{2}, achieved with a square configuration. For five points, the best known ratio is 1.62, achieved with a regular pentagon. For six points, the best known ratio is 1.9, achieved with a regular pentagon and a sixth point at the intersection of angle bisectors. Proving the lower bound for these configurations is a challenge, but using Appolonious circles or a continuous
shybishie
Place 6 points in the plane, such that ratio of maximum distance / minimum distance (over these points) is as small as possible. The question is - what is the smallest ratio possible, and can we prove this is a tight bound? The following is my attempt for 6 (and fewer points):

1) For three points, we can clearly achieve max dist / min dist = 1 (equilateral triangle)

2) For four points, I tried 2 configurations - a point inside a triangle (couldn't do better than [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] doing that though, using an equilateral triangle and it's centroid) . Also, I got a better result with a square (I got [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] , with the maximum length side being the diagonal). I think that should be improvable though?

3) For five points, the best I got was with a regular pentagon (about 1.62).

4) For six points, a regular hexagon was NOT the best distribution - that gave a ratio of 2 between largest and smallest distance. The best I got was a regular pentagon, with the sixth point at it's intersection of angle bisectors - about a ratio of 1.9. Any way to improve this, and (more trickily) prove it's tight? My source says [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is the tight bound?

I guess where I'm most stuck is proving a lower bound; i.e, you can't do better than x - I'm not sure how to get started there, even for the n = 4 case. If anyone has ideas or strategies, I'd really appreciate.

P.S: This isn't a homework or coursework problem - just a random puzzle from Rutgers problem solving seminar website.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We can use Appolonious circles. Given two points A,B ,moving a third point P such that
PA/PB is invariant & P is as 'evenly' spaced with respect to other points as possible.
It follows that the configuration with the minimal no. of different distances is the optimal.
( We could keep equalizing the distances reducing the max/min ratio).

Thank you Eynstone, that was very helpful :).

What Eynstone said is better, but I'll go ahead and post the idea I had, too. We can place the first two points arbitrarily. Then assigning the value of the max/min ratio to each possible configuration of the remaining n-2 points defines a continuous function from R^(2n-4) to R (almost--you have to either adjoin infinity to the range or exclude configurations with coincident points). Then you might be able to use calculus tools to identify critical points.

That function will be continuous but it will not be differentiable everywhere. There will be cusps. Even worse, the optimal configuration will be precisely at a cusp.

1. How do you define "spreading points evenly" in a plane?

Spreading points evenly in a plane means arranging a set of points in such a way that they are distributed as evenly as possible across the plane, with equal distances between adjacent points.

2. What is the significance of spreading points evenly in a plane?

Spreading points evenly in a plane is important in a variety of fields, including computer graphics, image processing, and data visualization. It allows for a more aesthetically pleasing and organized display of information.

3. What are some common methods for spreading points evenly in a plane?

Some common methods for spreading points evenly in a plane include using algorithms such as Lloyd's algorithm, Poisson disk sampling, and blue noise sampling. These methods use mathematical calculations and randomization to distribute points evenly.

4. Are there any limitations to spreading points evenly in a plane?

Yes, there are some limitations to spreading points evenly in a plane. As the number of points increases, it becomes more difficult to achieve perfect evenness. Additionally, the shape and size of the plane can also affect the distribution of points.

5. Can spreading points evenly in a plane be applied to three-dimensional spaces?

Yes, the concept of spreading points evenly can also be extended to three-dimensional spaces, where it is known as "spreading points evenly in space." Similar methods and algorithms can be used to achieve even distribution of points in three dimensions.