Spring back Plastic? Lend me your brains

In summary: The clip is designed to be a clip for holding fabric in place. The "spring back" quality is important in order to be able to pry it open and have it return to it's original shape. The device is small, and the plastic only needs to be about 1/8 - 1/10 inch thick.
inventor32
Ok, I have an invention, it's a clip.. and I'd like it to be made out of plastic.

What I need out of the plastic is "spring back" quality. I need it to where one can pry it open, and it'll return back to it's original shape.

This is a small device, and the plastic only needs to be about 1/8 - 1/10 inch thick, and the whole piece is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches long. Approximately. So the whole thing is small.

I need the "tension" (not sure if that's what to call it) to be strong enough to hold in fabric while moving and not let it slip out.

I know you guys are brilliant here, so what do you think? My provisional patent is nearing an end, and I need to figure this out before the end of february. I know I waited til the last minute. =)

Ok, let me know if springback plastic is possible, and if so where in the world I can get it made.

I'm not as smart as you guys, so bear with me please. =)

Thanks for any help.

Nicky

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean a plastic paper clip?

You do realize just how many of these products are out there don't you? I'd be surprised if you get a patent through for it unless it is really unique in how it works.

Here are a few:
http://www.clippa.co.uk/plastic_paperclips.html
http://www.officeshopping.co.uk/laurel-plastic-paper-clip-35mm-pak-200-25918
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013DIKWS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
No, nothing like that lol.. and yes I'm aware of the many plastic paper clips.

This is not a paper clip, and won't be holding paper. It's an extremely unique concept, and I've already had an attorney do a patent search, my provisional patent has already been filed in 2010, and my deadline to file a non-provisional patent is coming up in February.

Thanks

No one can help you unless you show us exactly what you are designing. A simple diagram with labels would help.

Youve already got a patent setup so showing us won't hurt. It would certainly help customise a solution.

If you want a "springy" plastic with a very good fatigue life (millions of cycles), try delrin.

There are many plastics that could do this, typical glass filled nylon will do fine.

You would first have to an FEA analysis on your part to see what dimensions it would have to have to be as stiff as you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is spring back plastic?

Spring back plastic, also known as shape memory plastic, is a type of polymer that is able to return to its original shape after being deformed or stretched.

2. How is spring back plastic different from other plastics?

Unlike traditional plastics, which are usually rigid and do not return to their original shape once deformed, spring back plastic has the ability to "remember" its original shape and return to it even after being stretched or bent.

3. How is spring back plastic used in scientific research?

Spring back plastic has been used in various scientific research studies to create self-healing materials, shape-shifting structures, and biodegradable products. It is also being explored for use in medical devices, such as stents, that need to be flexible and return to their original shape after being inserted into the body.

4. Is spring back plastic environmentally friendly?

It depends on the specific type of spring back plastic being used. Some varieties are biodegradable and can be broken down by natural processes, while others may release harmful chemicals when disposed of. It is important to properly recycle or dispose of spring back plastic to minimize its impact on the environment.

5. How does spring back plastic work?

Spring back plastic works through a process called shape memory effect. This occurs when the polymer chains in the plastic are stretched and rearranged, but then return to their original shape when heated or exposed to a specific stimulus. The exact mechanisms vary depending on the type of spring back plastic being used.