Mercury adhesion and wetting to plastics/polycarbonate/glass

  • Thread starter Thread starter artis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Adhesion Mercury
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
artis
Messages
1,479
Reaction score
977
Hi, I am starting to make some experiments with my project and part of it involves developing a small MHD system. Now for test purposes and ease of manufacturing I have decided I want to use some clear see through plastic which would help me see whether my experiment is working as planned. My question is since I am making a loop in which mercury will travel under MHD flow, I obviously need as low surface adhesion/friction as possible. I know that mercury has a very low adhesion to most surfaces naturally, my question is does mercury "live well" with polycarbonate glass and will it not wet the glass surface as I need the mercury to not attach to the walls and slow down.?

I will also need to insert electrodes into my system , is copper ok with mercury or does ti react with it? All in all I need my materials such that the mercury doesn't wet itself to the walls and at the same time that I have electrodes with which the mercury has good contact,

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess I will need to coat the copper electrodes with some other metal right ?

The only metals that have high conductivity and are compatible with mercury seem to be the pgm group like palladium or platinum, I wonder how complicated it would be to electroplate one of these on a thin copper sheet.
 
Last edited: