Spring+incline plane question

• Thread starter 404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring with a force constant of 1.2N/m. The surface on which the ball moves is inclined 10 degrees with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially compressed 5 cm, find the launch speed of a 0.1kg ball when plunger is released. Ignore friction + mass of plunger.
The ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring with a force constant of 1.2N/m. The surface on which the ball moves is inclined 10 degrees with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially compressed 5 cm, find the launch speed of a 0.1kg ball when plunger is released. Ignore friction + mass of plunger.

My work so far...

KE(1) + 0.5(k)(x)^2 = Work (gravity) + PE(2)

where 1 is the bottom of the incline plane and 2 is the top. and 0.05m is the distance between the 2 points. (using bottom of incline plane as reference point)

I found the hight at 0.05m up the incline to be 0.0087m and the x component of gravity to be 0.17N

so...
0.5(0.1)V^2 + 0.5(1.2)(0.05^2) = .17*0.05 + (0.1)(9.8)(0.0087)

and I found to be to 0.557m/s, but it's suppose to be 1.68m/s

Where did I go wrong?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You made several errors:
(1) The initial KE is zero. It starts from rest. The initial energy is spring PE.
(2) The final energy is a mix of gravitational PE plus KE.
(3) If you include gravitational PE as a form of energy, then you don't separately include the work done by gravity. (The gravitational PE is the work done by gravity! To include both is to count it twice.)

but if the initial KE is 0, how do I find the initial velocity that was suppose to be 1.63m/s?

You are asked to find the launch speed of the ball after it leaves the spring.

The confusion is coming from how you define "initial" If you define initial as when the spring was still compressed and held in place, the kinetic energy is zero, the spring potential is at [tex] U = \frac{1}{2}kx^2.[/tex], which when let go, will convert into the ball's kinetic energy completely.

Well how do you set it up then? I'm more confused then before I posted this now :(

so is it
PE(1) = KE(2) + PE(2)?
where PE(1) = 0.5Kx^2?

Yes, and more precisely:

PE1 + KE1 = PE2 + KE2

But we know that KE1 is zero, since the ball is at rest when it is in at the spring (which is compressed).

okay, thanks.

1. What is an incline plane?

An incline plane, also known as a ramp, is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is commonly used to make it easier to move objects from one height to another, by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or lower the object.

2. How does an incline plane affect the motion of an object?

An incline plane changes the direction and magnitude of the force acting on an object, making it easier to move the object along the ramp. The steeper the incline, the greater the force required to move the object up the ramp.

3. How does an incline plane affect the work done on an object?

When an object is moved up or down an incline plane, the force applied to the object is spread over a longer distance, resulting in less work being done. This is because the force is acting at an angle to the direction of motion, reducing the force's effectiveness.

4. What is the relationship between an incline plane and the potential energy of an object?

An incline plane changes the potential energy of an object by increasing or decreasing its height. As the object moves up the incline, its potential energy increases. As it moves down the incline, its potential energy decreases.

5. How can we calculate the mechanical advantage of an incline plane?

The mechanical advantage of an incline plane can be calculated by dividing the length of the ramp by its height. This ratio represents the amount by which the force required to move an object is reduced by using an incline plane instead of lifting the object straight up.