Where did I go Wrong? Solving for Particle Speed with Mass & Charge

In summary, the correct approach to solving the given problem is to use the conservation of energy and momentum equations. By correctly identifying the potential and kinetic energy of the system, and recognizing that the two particles have the same speed, one can arrive at the correct answer of 1.5 m/s for the speed of either particle at the given instant.
hidemi
Homework Statement
Two particles, each having a mass of 3.0 μg and having equal but opposite charges of magnitude 5.0 nC, are released simultaneously from rest when the two are 5.0 cm apart. What is the speed of either particle at the instant when the two are separated by 2.0 cm?

The answer is 1.5 m/s.
Relevant Equations
F = kQ^2/r^2
F= 9*10^9 (5*10^-9)^2 / (0.05)^2

a=F/m = F/(3*10^-6)

v^2 = u^2 + 2aS = 0 + 2a*0.03
v = 60

Where did I do wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: Two particles, each having a mass of 3.0 μg and having equal but opposite charges of magnitude 5.0 nC, are released simultaneously from rest when the two are 5.0 cm apart. What is the speed of either particle at the instant when the two are separated by 2.0 cm?

The answer is 1.5 m/s.
Relevant Equations:: F = kQ^2/r^2

a=F/m = F/(3*10^-6)

v = 60

What happens to the force as the particles get closer? So what happens to the acceleration?
Is there an easier approach which doesn't require the force and acceleraton?

Likes Delta2
hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: Two particles, each having a mass of 3.0 μg and having equal but opposite charges of magnitude 5.0 nC, are released simultaneously from rest when the two are 5.0 cm apart. What is the speed of either particle at the instant when the two are separated by 2.0 cm?

The answer is 1.5 m/s.
Relevant Equations:: F = kQ^2/r^2

a=F/m = F/(3*10^-6)

v = 60

The force is not constant.

Likes Steve4Physics
hidemi said:
Where did I do wrong?
First, your attempted solution is very poor: it's just a number salad with no units.

Second, you made a fundamental, basic mistake.

• Sad
Likes Delta2
I'm thinking about using this equation: U = 1/2mv^2 + kQq/r
E1 = 1/2 * 3*10^-9 * 0^2 + 9*(-25)*10^-9/0.05^2
E1 = 1/2 * 3*10^-9 * V^2 + 9*(-25)*10^-9/0.02^2
V = 67 (m/s)
I cannot find a matching answer.

hidemi said:
kQq/r
9*(-25)*10^-9/0.05^2
?

haruspex said:
?
E1 = 1/2 * 3*10^-9 * 0^2 + 9*(-25)*10^-9/0.05
E2 = 1/2 * 3*10^-9 * V^2 + 9*(-25)*10^-9/0.02
E1 = E2, so V = 67 (m/s)

Sorry it was a typo

hidemi said:
I'm thinking about using this equation: U = 1/2mv^2 + kQq/r
E1 = 1/2 * 3*10^-9 * 0^2 + 9*(-25)*10^-9/0.05^2
E1 = 1/2 * 3*10^-9 * V^2 + 9*(-25)*10^-9/0.02^2
V = 67 (m/s)
I cannot find a matching answer.
It's no surprise that you keep getting the wrong answer, because you are lacking the basic techniques needed for a more advanced topic like EM:

You generally don't use units; you plug numbers into equations without thinking; you don't do any algebra; all you have is a number salad.

May I ask where you are studying physics? Do none of your professors comment on this? This is the very basics of EM. You have some serious mathematics coming up if you continue your studies. Has no one suggested you need to learn how to do algebra? You cannot make further progress in physics without developing mathematically.

hidemi said:
E1 = 1/2 * 3*10^-9 * 0^2 + 9*(-25)*10^-9/0.05
E2 = 1/2 * 3*10^-9 * V^2 + 9*(-25)*10^-9/0.02
E1 = E2, so V = 67 (m/s)

Sorry it was a typo
Looks like a tie, one error by you and one by the problem setter.
You have counted the PE of the system but the KE of only one particle.
At a guess, the problem setter turned a μg into 10-6kg.

Btw, I agree with @PeroK. It is far better to work entirely symbolically until the final step.

Likes Steve4Physics and PeroK
Though this seems to be an electrodynamics problem, you have to use the two well known laws of classical mechanics: Conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. Be sure when you apply conservation of energy to correctly count for the potential and kinetic energy of both particles.

Likes PeroK
@hidemi to be constructive, here's what I would have expected you to do.

First, state that you have a system of two particles and that the total potential energy for such a system is: $$U = \frac{kq_1q_2}{r} = -\frac{kq^2}{r}$$ Where ##q = 5.0nC## in this particular case.

Second, you should at least have thought about whether this is the potential energy of the system or of each particle. And, you could have asked here for confirmation - that it is indeed the total PE of both particles combined.

Third, you should have identified the total KE of the system as: $$KE = \frac 1 2 mv_1^2 + \frac 1 2 mv_2^2$$
Fourth, you should argued (as above) that the particles must have the same speed - as they have the same mass and the same magnitude of Coulomb force acting on them.

That would allow you to rewrite the KE of the system as: $$KE = mv^2$$
Fifth, you use conservation of energy: $$mv^2 -\frac{kq^2}{r_1} = -\frac{kq^2}{r_0}$$ which gives you: $$v^2 = \frac{kq^2}{m}(\frac 1 {r_1} - \frac 1 {r_0})$$
Finally, you can plug the numbers into that.

This is what you should be training yourself to do. To think through a problem like this.

Likes Delta2
Thank you all for pointing out my mistakes! I finally got the correct answer 1.5m/s

Likes rsk
hidemi said:
Thank you all for pointing out my mistakes! I finally got the correct answer 1.5m/s
But 1.5m/s is wrong. How did you get that? Should the 3μg be 3mg?

haruspex said:
But 1.5m/s is wrong. How did you get that? Should the 3μg be 3mg?
Yes, the 3μg is 3mg. And my calculation is as attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 133
Likes Delta2

1. What is the equation for calculating particle speed with mass and charge?

The equation for calculating particle speed with mass and charge is v = (q/m)E, where v is the speed of the particle, q is the charge of the particle, m is the mass of the particle, and E is the electric field strength.

2. How do I determine the direction of the particle's velocity?

The direction of the particle's velocity can be determined by the direction of the electric field. If the electric field is in the same direction as the force acting on the particle, then the particle's velocity will be in the same direction. If the electric field is in the opposite direction, then the particle's velocity will be in the opposite direction.

3. Can I use this equation for any type of particle?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of charged particle, such as electrons, protons, or ions. It is important to make sure that the units for charge and mass are consistent in order to get an accurate result.

4. What happens if the particle has a negative charge?

If the particle has a negative charge, the direction of its velocity will be opposite to the direction of the electric field. This is because the force on a negative charge is in the opposite direction of the electric field.

5. How does the mass of the particle affect its speed?

The mass of the particle has an inverse relationship with its speed. This means that as the mass of the particle increases, its speed decreases. This is because a larger mass requires a greater force to accelerate, resulting in a slower speed.